Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP 2.8 Is Struggling To Make It Out The Door

Phoronix: GIMP 2.8 Is Struggling To Make It Out The Door

GIMP 2.8 has been talked about for more than a year and back in January there was a GIMP 2.8 release schedule by Martin Nordholts that had set the final release for the 27th of December. That date has now passed and, sadly, this major update to this leading open-source graphics program is still not close to being released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Geez, I hope the implications of the headline weren't intentional.

Originally posted by WordNet
    Noun

* S: (n) lameness, limping, gimp, gimpiness, gameness, claudication (disability of walking due to crippling of the legs or feet)

Comment

"Bring out the gimp."

Comment

the community really needs to get organized and give this guys some serious help.

2.8 is going to be an epic release and is sad that they only doing this with 2 contributors...

Games on linux is gettings tons more attention than other important areas like graphics design. I think there's a lot everyone can do in this key area to help.

Even a small promo like "help gimp reach 2.8 and finally get mono-window support" could help a lot.

Comment

If it doesn't support more than 256 shades of gray after ten years of waiting, it is still gimped.

Comment

I'm surprised nobody has enough commercial interest in Gimp to contribute to the project. There aren't a plethora of serious GUI raster graphics editors out there. This is a major application genre.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
              the community really needs to get organized and give this guys some serious help.

2.8 is going to be an epic release and is sad that they only doing this with 2 contributors...

Games on linux is gettings tons more attention than other important areas like graphics design. I think there's a lot everyone can do in this key area to help.

Even a small promo like "help gimp reach 2.8 and finally get mono-window support" could help a lot.
              there are projects that need "help" far more important than gimp (ie graphics drivers) and the community isn't big enough to help them

there are a million different projects doing the same thing - ffs how many video editors or music players do we need- and as a result of that resources and help are low

thats open source

you either accept that some things wont be on time or use something else

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                ffs how many video editors or music players do we need- and as a result of that resources and help are low
                I would settle for just one good and full featured video editor in linux. Unfortunately that hasn't come about yet.

Comment

there are projects that need "help" far more important than gimp (ie graphics drivers) and the community isn't big enough to help them

there are a million different projects doing the same thing - ffs how many video editors or music players do we need- and as a result of that resources and help are low

thats open source

yes, i will also accept global warming and keep on driving my big truck instead of riding my bike or taking public transportation the majority of times, because like you said we normal people cant do anything about it and need to accept everything as is..

Comment

thats open source

Barrier for entry into GIMP, while high, isn't the exclusive domain of uberleet devs.

Comment

Working...
                    X