AMD 2010 Catalyst Driver Year In Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    I probably have to go through my .config file to see if there's anything strange in it, I might have missed something when updating from .35.
    Probably. I made a clear installation and maybe that's why I avoided problems.
    BTW even hibernation and suspend works like a charm. For example my laptop has uptime 1.5 day now only because I had to power it off 2 days ago since I didn't have along my charger.

Comment

I really liked most of this year's Catalyst Releases, although I've to say since Catalyst 10.8, some / most people who've a r600 card with a UVD1 decoder can't decode H264 videos properly anymore, only VC-1 ones... (On the Windows side, it's even worse and I can't decode both H264/VC-1 encoded videos without using about 50% of my CPU (which corresponds to 100% usage in a single-threaded application)).

By another side, currently we've some 'patched' support for newer kernel releases (2.6.36/2.6.37), latest stable Xorg releases are working with recent Catalyst versions and it even supports my HD4650 AGP card out-of-box without applying the "AGP patch", like it happens on Windows.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by evolution View Post
        I really liked most of this year's Catalyst Releases, although I've to say since Catalyst 10.8, some / most people who've a r600 card with a UVD1 decoder can't decode H264 videos properly anymore, only VC-1 ones... (On the Windows side, it's even worse and I can't decode both H264/VC-1 encoded videos without using about 50% of my CPU (which corresponds to 100% usage in a single-threaded application)).

By another side, currently we've some 'patched' support for newer kernel releases (2.6.36/2.6.37), latest stable Xorg releases are working with recent Catalyst versions and it even supports my HD4650 AGP card out-of-box without applying the "AGP patch", like it happens on Windows.

Cheers
        Seems like I perhaps could go back to Catalyst every now and then, whenever I play games =)
        Perhaps Minecraft fares better with Catalyst than video-ati-drivers.

Comment

Really seems like those benchmarks are missing some context... like, what settings were used, did unigine take advantage of the opengl 4 features when used with a compatable driver? Was tessalation enabled when used with a compatible driver (for the record I read kano's assessment, just saying.. it should be in the review).

Benchmarks without the proper context loose a lot (if not all) of their meaning.

Comment

Perhaps Michael can update the PTS suite to report the settings used on the various tests.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
              Really seems like those benchmarks are missing some context... like, what settings were used, did unigine take advantage of the opengl 4 features when used with a compatable driver? Was tessalation enabled when used with a compatible driver (for the record I read kano's assessment, just saying.. it should be in the review).

Benchmarks without the proper context loose a lot (if not all) of their meaning.
              You can find out all of the settings by running the phoronix-test-suite yourself or looking at its package settings. Simple as that, totally reproducible.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Perhaps Michael can update the PTS suite to report the settings used on the various tests.
                You can find them on OpenBenchmarking.org when publicly available.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  You can find them on OpenBenchmarking.org when publicly available.
                  It would be nice if they were embedded into the graphs on the bottom of them.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    It would be nice if they were embedded into the graphs on the bottom of them.
                    With the OpenBenchmarking.org embeddable graphs its a matter of being a click away from it.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

I'm talking about something like this Michael, rough mockup:

Comment

Working...
                      X