No announcement yet.

A Christmas Eve Wine Release (v1.3.10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Christmas Eve Wine Release (v1.3.10)

Phoronix: A Christmas Eve Wine Release (v1.3.10)

There's the release of Wine 1.3.10 on this Christmas Eve for those with extra time to test the newest Wine over the holidays. Wine 1.3.10 has a number of changes worth checking out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still no PulseAudio support. Meh.

Comment

I'd rather like them to plant a solid ALSA driver that works with Pulseaudio and have all the problems fixed instead of four crappy sound drivers...

Comment

I've been using WinePulse: http://art.ified.ca/?page_id=40

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          I'd rather like them to plant a solid ALSA driver that works with Pulseaudio and have all the problems fixed instead of four crappy sound drivers...
          Pure alsa works fine. Pulseaudio just adds another layer of complexity which seems to cause more issues then it is worth. Ironically pulseaudio was supposed to improve compatibility among apps but so far it has proven to be the exact opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Pure alsa works fine. Pulseaudio just adds another layer of complexity which seems to cause more issues then it is worth. Ironically pulseaudio was supposed to improve compatibility among apps but so far it has proven to be the exact opposite.
            Wrong. Pure alsa is an end-user nightmare. It is pretty much impossible to configure it in ways that pulse can do with a few clicks. It only works "fine" if you only have one sound card or you are satisfied with complex static configurations. Also, saying that pulse causes issues only shows how little you know of the subject, as most of the problems are there due to various bugs in Alsa.

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
              Wrong. Pure alsa is an end-user nightmare.
              Pure alsa works fine. I have a huge extensive selection of soundcards and it has been a painless solution for years.

It is pretty much impossible to configure it in ways that pulse can do with a few clicks. It only works "fine" if you only have one sound card or you are satisfied with complex static configurations.
              For most people, they only have 1 soundcard. Even with multiple cards Alsa is fairly pain free. In KDE 4 all that is needed for example to flip sound sources is to flip the preferred device in Phonon.

Also, saying that pulse causes issues only shows how little you know of the subject, as most of the problems are there due to various bugs in Alsa.
              Actually I have extensive knowledge in audio in linux. Some bugs may exist alsa however removing pulse and reverting to pure alsa all to often resolves the issue.

Comment

I've found alsa to work fine alone.
                On both my laptop and desktop.

Comment

Pure alsa works fine. I have a huge extensive selection of soundcards and it has been a painless solution for years.
                  I find it funny how all pulse haters are full of big words, then when somebody asks them for help regarding alsa configs they almost always turn out to be completely clueless.

For most people, they only have 1 soundcard
                  False again. What happens when you plug in a USB headphone? Another sound device. What do all headphones come with? That's right, a USB adapter. What about bluetooth devices? Someone with "extensive knowledge" should know this. I'm so tired of these empty arguments.

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
                    Still no PulseAudio support. Meh.
                    Please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the long term plan to create a mmdevapi -> openAL which then would solve most if not all sound issues they now having ?

Comment

Working...
                    X