KDE SC 4.6 Release Candidate 1 Makes It Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    I have 8GB of RAM, but nothing related to mtrr shows up on dmesg (using Arch x64). Besides, this seems to appear on Intel IGPs - I'm using a Nvidia card.
    Your MTRR is likely misconfigured. Add "enable_mtrr_cleanup mtrr_spare_reg_nr=1" to your kernel parameters and try rebooting.

I am not familiar with Arch Linux, but Gentoo Linux's documentation briefly describes this issue:

The unofficial wiki is a bit more helpful in describing it:

Gentoo Linux users typically compile their own kernels, so they do not use those parameters I posted, but as long as you have CONFIG_MTRR_SANITIZER in your kernel .config, you can use those parameters to enable it.

By the way, MTRR has nothing to do with your graphics card. It is an x86 feature. All x86 processors support it.

Comment

Originally posted by gedgon View Post
      At this point I'm 99.9% sure, that this bug will land in 4.6 release, so i'll be back with SUSE live cd video soon

As I promised, here's video. openSUSE 11.4 Milestone 6.

Regards.

Comment

When I resize the panel to the left like you do in the video, I also get through-the-roof CPU utilization.

So I guess I just confirmed it. Maybe you should open a bug at bugs.kde.org and post a link to it here.

Comment

Over here with KDE 4.5.5, an HD4200 and latest fglrx I get a max of 27% cpu usage on dolphin (that's 27% of one core) when doing the mouse up and down on the places panel. When resizing it goes up to about 45% max.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Maybe you should open a bug at bugs.kde.org and post a link to it here.
            I can't believe, that devs aren't aware about this. UDisks integration is extremely buggy. And it's not only about performance.
            For example, using optical drive will drive you crazy. Every mouseover, resizing, unminimizing or even window focus will spin-up disk. Not to mention ejecting.

Originally posted by devius
            Over here with KDE 4.5.5, an HD4200 and latest fglrx I get a max of 27% cpu usage on dolphin[...]
            So, it's about 26% too much, but really, it's not about KDE SC < 4.6. It's about regressions.

Comment

Working...
            X