What does GnuCash need more?
      Lots of specific abilities.
      or
      A complete redesign.
      or
      a false-dichotomy detector?

Comment

Originally posted by GoremanX View Post
        Not since 2003, when those software packages couldn't properly deal with accounts in different currencies. I fully admit we haven't tried any of the recent stuff, but mostly because we haven't had to. GnuCash does everything we need it to, is free, and runs natively on Linux without a need for Wine or some virtual Windows. Why waste my time?

Besides, this isn't about "which finance software is best?", it's about the unfair editorializing in a very simple news update. It's aggravating when a Linux-centric site purposely bashes a project without letting users make up their own minds.

If Phoronix wants to do a side-by-side comparison of GnuCash vs Quicken, then so be it. That's fair game. But that's not what this was.
        This is a good point, and is true with all open vs closed software debates. Michael is used to Intuit and therefor it is "superior" - it maybe is, but that doesn't mean GnuCash is useless... Other classic examples are GIMP vs Photoshop or Blender vs "some Autodesk 3D-app". I worked with graphics and VFX for many years and met countless people whose needs could be met by OSS, but because of familiarity with proprietary apps they disregard the alternatives as useless. Even amateurs won't use GIMP because of the percieved "superiority" of Photoshop.

Sure commercial products are better in many cases (and should be with payed devs), and familiarity and workflow is hard to put a value on. If people are willing to pay continuously for that familiarity is their choice, but I agree that Phoronix should not critizise apps (open or not) based on personal preference.

Comment

You can check out webzash.org (under AGPL)

We are open to feedback from the community.

Comment

Originally posted by webzash View Post
            You can check out webzash.org (under AGPL)

We are open to feedback from the community.
            Demo : http://webzash.org/demo/

Comment

I think the tone denotes a valid frustration with which, in the case of GnuCash, I can readily sympathize. However as a proper authoritative source of news for this community it's a journalism mistake to conflate the state of GnuCash with the state of open-source financial software writ large.

I'm personally very impressed with the kMyMoney project's management and the resulting software. It's worth a look even for the cynical.

The problem with the article is that it's a product review that primarily if only casually appears to be a news article.

Nothing to be upset about imo since in comparison to like sites the writing here is quite good.

Comment

GnuCash 2.4 compatible Bo-Keep 1.0.1 released

I'm pleased to announce the launch of Bo-Keep as a public/community free software project. Bo-Keep is a desktop application that makes use of the python bindings feature found in GnuCash 2.4.0 and 2.4.2.

Bo-Keep allows you to create custom data entry interfaces for accounting
                software, speeding up data entry and reducing errors.

The system uses front-end plugins for data entry interfaces, and
                back-end plugins to connect with various accounting programs.

Comment

I just took a look at GNU cash, while its fine for a basic home based bussiness with no employees and limited invoicing and cash Handling.

Its no where near comparable to Intuits quick books or many other solutions in the market.

I hate quickboosk with a passion, but again I am stuck with it becuase it works.

If GNU cash started charging a few dollars they might be able to hire a few developers and get a comparable product out.

Face it, you can't get good or feature complete work out of people for free.

Everybody has to feed their kids.

Comment

Working...
                  X