Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GnuCash 2.4.0 Accountng Software Released

Phoronix: GnuCash 2.4.0 Accountng Software Released

Besides gaming being one of the last strongholds for Microsoft Windows users from switching over to Linux (though this is beginning to change), accounting software is an area that is even in worse shape under Linux -- free software or not -- aside from the available web-based accounting solutions. GnuCash is one of the Linux desktop accounting packages for small businesses, but it's not the greatest; I am still an Intuit customer for their superior financial products. GnuCash 2.4.0 was released yesterday and sadly it really doesn't change the situation at all...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    [b]GnuCash is one of the Linux desktop accounting packages for small businesses, but it's not the greatest; I am still an Intuit customer for their superior financial products. GnuCash 2.4.0 was released yesterday and sadly it really doesn't change the situation at all...
    Must not have tried very hard. I've been using GnuCash to handle all our finances for years (since November 2003, in fact... I just checked the earliest recorded transaction). Both our home budget and my business' budget are maintained effortlessly through GnuCash, and it's helped us keep a handle on all our finances better than I ever could using Intuit software.

Comment

We're getting more and more of these badly biased 'news'. Maybe it's the Gluehwein...

Comment

wow, harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
          Maybe it's the Gluehwein...
          Or not enough Gluhwein... Or not enough anything except work. Not even in Germany for the holidays this year, but doing at least 50~60 hours a week on PTS3-Iveland/OpenBenchmarking.org not counting Phoronix.com work with writing time, etc etc. It's a strain. Fortunately I think I'll take a brief holiday again (albeit, still working, just much shorter periods) in January, to refresh. But before that I first need to get two weeks ahead in code and content to allow that to happen...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

ah yes, hard work. That explains the unnecessarily negative, biased comments about a great software tool which is fully open source, reliable and useful to countless many people.

Simply pointing out that GnuCash has been updated, along with a quick list of improvements, would've been more than enough. The editorializing was not necessary, and serves only to discourage potential users from trying it out.

We have different bank accounts in different countries and currencies, and back in 2003, Quicken was terrible at dealing with accounts of differing currencies. GnuCash saved the day, and we never looked back. But I probably would've ignored it altogether if I'd read this news update.

Comment

Originally posted by GoremanX View Post
              ah yes, hard work. That explains the unnecessarily negative, biased comments about a great software tool which is fully open source, reliable and useful to countless many people.

Simply pointing out that GnuCash has been updated, along with a quick list of improvements, would've been more than enough. The editorializing was not necessary, and serves only to discourage potential users from trying it out.

We have different bank accounts in different countries and currencies, and back in 2003, Quicken was terrible at dealing with accounts of differing currencies. GnuCash saved the day, and we never looked back. But I probably would've ignored it altogether if I'd read this news update.
              When was the last time you used Quickbooks or MYOB or Accpac?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                When was the last time you used Quickbooks or MYOB or Accpac?
                Not since 2003, when those software packages couldn't properly deal with accounts in different currencies. I fully admit we haven't tried any of the recent stuff, but mostly because we haven't had to. GnuCash does everything we need it to, is free, and runs natively on Linux without a need for Wine or some virtual Windows. Why waste my time?

Besides, this isn't about "which finance software is best?", it's about the unfair editorializing in a very simple news update. It's aggravating when a Linux-centric site purposely bashes a project without letting users make up their own minds.

If Phoronix wants to do a side-by-side comparison of GnuCash vs Quicken, then so be it. That's fair game. But that's not what this was.

Comment

There are also Skrooge and KMyMoney available on Linux if you don't like GnuCash, which i've heard are good. Don't use any personal finance software myself, so I couldn't judge.

Comment

I just wish it was smart enough to match up accounts without me having to manually tell it every time I import a file from my bank or credit card accounts. You'd think that after I'd told it once that VISA meant a payment from my bank to my Visa card account that it would know to do it every time rather than asking me.

Comment

Working...
                    X