Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chess engine benchmarking (Wine vs Windows)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess engine benchmarking (Wine vs Windows)

Hi

I am a Ubuntu Maverick user with a 32 bits Pentium M 1.73 Ghz. Ok, it's not a speed monster.

For chess, I use SCID 4.2.2 compiled. It happens that the latest and more powerful chess engine freely available on Linux is Houdini 1.5 running on Wine. It runs so quickly that I am thinking it probably works better than with my dual-boot XP.

I know you have a benchmark suite but I do not know if it would be appropriate to use it just for this purpose.

Have any speed comparison for chess engines ever been made by Phoronix. Do you intend to make one ?

Thanks for help

Originally posted by roger64 View Post
    Hi

I am a Ubuntu Maverick user with a 32 bits Pentium M 1.73 Ghz. Ok, it's not a speed monster.

For chess, I use SCID 4.2.2 compiled. It happens that the latest and more powerful chess engine freely available on Linux is Houdini 1.5 running on Wine. It runs so quickly that I am thinking it probably works better than with my dual-boot XP.

I know you have a benchmark suite but I do not know if it would be appropriate to use it just for this purpose.

Have any speed comparison for chess engines ever been made by Phoronix. Do you intend to make one ?

Thanks for help
    PTS is geared towards benching the OS and hardware. Benching Engine A vs Engine B goes a bit beyond it's realm.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      PTS is geared towards benching the OS and hardware. Benching Engine A vs Engine B goes a bit beyond it's realm.
      Phoronix is just about OS/hardware. PTS itself can handle such a chess comparison just fine -- EXTREMELY so with PTS3-Iveland / OpenBenchmarking.org.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Phoronix is just about OS/hardware. PTS itself can handle such a chess comparison just fine -- EXTREMELY so with PTS3-Iveland / OpenBenchmarking.org.
        I think your underestimating the complexity of benching the various chess engines Micheal given that there is no true absolute "one engine to rule them all" and results will vary depending on the scenario and the method used to determine next moves (brute force vs plausible consideration). Even the different algorithms utilized in same type engines with yield different results based upon the piece scenario.

Comment

Working...
        X