X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    *1 minute edit windoooooooooooow...
    1 minute edit windoooooooooow...
    I hope your death will be painfully sloooooooooooow...
    Can you cause me anything but wooooooooooOOOOOOO*cough*OOOEeeeeEee...*

BTW what does your xorg.conf look like?
    Specs on your PSU?
    lol, yea.

Adding "nopat" in grub didn't change anything. xorg.conf is listed in post 6 above (end of post).

The PSU is an Antec 350 W. That could actually be the problem, the sys reqs for the AH4650 is 400 W minimum.

Comment

Sorry, menu.lst only applies to grub legacy, menu.cfg is the right configuration file for grub2... =S.

So far, your grub.cfg file seems to be properly configured... but why is it booting with "single" in the command line? =S

About the "nopat" option: I also have a HD4650 AGP in a 7-year-old desktop (P4 Canterwood overclocked @3.6GHz) and it's working properly without that command option...

Cheers

Comment

yup bevildering with the "single" stuff

god to hear that others have 4560 AGP up and running in Linux though. I bet my problem is the PSU. I'll try to get hold of a new one later this week.

thanks both / Anfanglir

Comment

Originally posted by Anfanglir View Post
          yup bevildering with the "single" stuff

god to hear that others have 4560 AGP up and running in Linux though. I bet my problem is the PSU. I'll try to get hold of a new one later this week.

thanks both / Anfanglir
          And you can be very sure it's very nice that we can use this graphics card to play full HD videos / even playing some demanding games only using an old P4 / Athlon / Athlon64 processor... The graphics card does the "hard work" for the processor.

Ok, if there are any problems after that, don't hesitate to post here again...

Cheers

Comment

If you are not running "aticonfig --initial" after driver installation make sure you do... not exactly sure what it does but it is part of the install instructions and systems do seem more likely to work after running it.
            Test signature

Comment

xorg.conf is listed in post 6 above (end of post)
              Woops my bad... Looking good at any rate.
              The HD4650 AGP requires extra power through a 4- or 6-pin connector doesn't it?
              About the 350W Antec, I had one (Smartpower line I suppose?). It litterally exploded, even if it's not the cause of your troubles you might want to change it
              A Corsair CX500 should do. Good build at a bargain, 2 years warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                Woops my bad... Looking good at any rate.
                The HD4650 AGP requires extra power through a 4- or 6-pin connector doesn't it?
                About the 350W Antec, I had one (Smartpower line I suppose?). It litterally exploded, even if it's not the cause of your troubles you might want to change it
                A Corsair CX500 should do. Good build at a bargain, 2 years warranty.
                Yes, it requires an extra power connector...
                Cheers

Comment

OK so upgraded to a 500w PSU. No change, still hangs at startup. Finally tired of this so I installed XP (!), loaded the Catalyst drivers, rebooted, and... uhhm yea XP also hangs at startup.

So tomorrow I go shopping for a new motherboard and and new PCU. As I feel I have to make use of the new 4650, I'm aiming at a Asrock 4coredual MB, coz it have both AGP and PCIE slots.

:\ Anfanglir

Comment

OK so upgraded to a 500w PSU. No change, still hangs at startup. Finally tired of this so I installed XP (!), loaded the Catalyst drivers, rebooted, and... uhhm yea XP also hangs at startup.

So tomorrow I go shopping for a new motherboard and and new PCU. As I feel I have to make use of the new 4650, I'm aiming at a Asrock 4coredual MB, coz it have both AGP and PCIE slots.

:\ Anfanglir
                    Does your system hangs at startup?! At least, does it reboot automatically on XP? If so, it might be an hardware failure... (XP reboots automatically if there's a BSOD / HW driver failure).

If I were you, I'd ask for a refund for your HD4650 (if you can do it), and I'd bought a HD4650 PCI-E... (they're cheaper)

Cheers

Comment

Update your mb BIOS.
                      Experiment disabling AGP Aperture completely.
                      4650 is not true AGP card but has a chip to transfer. Maybe it is the root of problem.
                      Does 9700 worked well?
                      4650 only requires extra power because AGP provides far less amperage than PCIe. PCIe version only from 4770 want extra juice.

If you live in germany and want, I have nvidia 6800 128mb agp card lying around, I could sell it to you for very symbolic price. I also have old barton 2500+ one of remarked bartons that easily work at 3200+ and around 1Gb of ddr1 RAM(512+512). NF-7S is seeks the owner too

As alternative consider either intel Exxx dualcore chips(e5200 for example) with p45/p43 boards, or amd Athlon II chips - they are cheap and strong solutions.

I think you have some hardware (setup) issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X