Gold status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold status

Hey guys, just wondering if you guys know if there is an official # of copies sold in gaming to achieve "gold". In the UK for example the number of sold copies on an album would require 300,000 sales for gold status and 600,000 for platinum status. Is there any hard number for games?

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Hey guys, just wondering if you guys know if there is an official # of copies sold in gaming to achieve "gold". In the UK for example the number of sold copies on an album would require 300,000 sales for gold status and 600,000 for platinum status. Is there any hard number for games?
    For software, going "gold" has nothing to do with the number of copies sold. That term means that the developer has made the final CD/DVD image that is to be shipped off to the printer for distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
      For software, going "gold" has nothing to do with the number of copies sold. That term means that the developer has made the final CD/DVD image that is to be shipped off to the printer for distribution.
      I have seen it referred to both in pre release sales and with completion aka "goldmaster".

Comment

Just for example on the whole "gold/platinum" sales figures being used in games.

Leading video game developer BioWare, a division of EA, announced today that Dragon Age: Origins has sold-in over 3.2 million units worldwide.

Comment

Huh. I've honestly never seen or heard that before.

Quick Google search seems to have answered your question though:

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
            Huh. I've honestly never seen or heard that before.

Quick Google search seems to have answered your question though:

http://blog.ihobo.com/2010/01/gold-p...ond-games.html
            That's what I figured, there seems to be no "official" rating on the number of units sold to get a rating. Here is another example of a list that uses the ESPLA rankings.

[quote]Silver (100,000+) [360] FORZA MOTORSPORT 3 (MICROSOFT) [PS3] PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2010 (KONAMI) [WII] WII FIT PLUS (NINTENDO) [WII] MARIO...

Comment

Working...
            X