Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutter Picks Up An EvDev Input Back-End, Helps Wayland

Phoronix: Clutter Picks Up An EvDev Input Back-End, Helps Wayland

Development work towards the major Clutter 1.6 stable release has been progressing nicely within the Clutter 1.5 development branch. These recent development snapshots have brought performance improvements, a GLSL generation back-end, greater usage of OpenGL FBOs, new API functionality, and even a Clutter Wayland back-end. A new development release of Clutter (v1.5.10) is now here and it brings an evdev input back-end...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm still trying to understand... to a final user, what will wayland bring over X11? And please, be realistic in your reply

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
      I'm still trying to understand... to a final user, what will wayland bring over X11? And please, be realistic in your reply
      It's mostly architectual. The end user will experience perfect drames and (finaly) some correct resizing of windows+widgets.

Comment

I was asking same many times.. always answer was link to wikipedia with "wayland" and "x".... nothing helpfull...

Comment

It's a shift in thinking from an old 2D network-centric framework to a more "modern" framework that's got 3D built in, etc.

X11 has 3D, yes, but it's tacked on as an afterthought. DRI helps, but it's still a kludge. In the end, what we need is Wayland with something there to provide network transparency (do keep in mind that 3D's not going to go over the wire well...)- something along the lines of a winnowed down X11 or something more like Berlin/Fresco attempted (And was more of an example of being before it's time than anything else...).

The main gains are going to be better UIs down the line, better 3D support than the other OSes have, and the like. If we weren't losing direct X11 and people weren't so worried about losing the network transparency, I'd expect people to be embracing it instead of questioning it.

Comment

Exa hw accel is also very slow. I hope that Wayland would bring some speedups.

What I've read from the Wayland website is that it cuts a lot of things that X needs to because of its networked design. I don't know why the X devs think that X11 is pretty good; my noobish intuition says fences all the way down and splitting the networking into X12 with a tiny 3D lib and widget toolkit with scalable content. Throw an Xlib wrapper on top.

In the mean time Gtk can become networked and Wayland+X11 to fill the gap. If there was ever chance to work on X12, now would be the time. Critisism welcomee

Comment

I think it would be awesome, albeit unlikely, if Mac picks up Wayland and then helps with it's development. That might make cross-platform apps just a bit easier to develop.

Originally Posted by Svartalf
              X11 has 3D, yes, but it's tacked on as an afterthought. DRI helps, but it's still a kludge. In the end, what we need is Wayland with something there to provide network transparency (do keep in mind that 3D's not going to go over the wire well...)- something along the lines of a winnowed down X11 or something more like Berlin/Fresco attempted (And was more of an example of being before it's time than anything else...).
              Svartalf, does that mean that if years down the road, Wayland completely replaces X, then graphics drivers would be easier to write/maintain?

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                I think it would be awesome, albeit unlikely, if Mac picks up Wayland and then helps with it's development. That might make cross-platform apps just a bit easier to develop.

Svartalf, does that mean that if years down the road, Wayland completely replaces X, then graphics drivers would be easier to write/maintain?
                The aole reason Wayland is viableis because it uses the same drivers as X, all the way down.

Comment

There is a lot of mis-understanding about Wayland. Wayland is basically just a compositor. It does not provide acceleration; apps/toolkits must use some other API to draw (OpenGL ES right now, potentially other APIs like OpenGL, OpenVG, etc. in the future). Wayland just takes the results from each app and composites them together. I'd suggest reading this page:

Comment

Maybe it would be cool if an SVG widget lib would surface so that interfaces scale extremely well and fast without having to wait for an update like with Android (in this case with portrait/landscape).

Comment

Working...
                    X