Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Those Hoping To See UT3 On Linux This Holiday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next article: "soo Steam is never coming to linux.. haha got you all.."

"uh no you didn't..."

Comment

Originally posted by TuxPowered View Post
      I don't understand still, where is a problem ?
      UE3 was ported to another platforms without any problem even it uses totally different architecture ! But for Linux it is a really big problem ? Huh
      It smells with a marketing and big corporations like microsoft => Linux platform can't get so good engine or even games based on this one, because MONEY.
      It was ported...and rumor has it that lack of money paid to the right parties was why it didn't get delivered...

Comment

I'm glad I never really hoped for U3. Still sad to read this but anyway, this saved me some money I had otherwise spent on it.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

How about the UDK? Same fate?
          No native UT3 client is one thing, but AFAIK Ryan Gordon had something running.
          According to this page there are quite a few differences between UT3 and UDK.
          Though I'll admit, UT3 running an old build of the engine doesn't bode well for a Linux UDK...

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
            How about the UDK? Same fate?
            No native UT3 client is one thing, but AFAIK Ryan Gordon had something running.
            According to this page there are quite a few differences between UT3 and UDK.
            Though I'll admit, UT3 running an old build of the engine doesn't bode well for a Linux UDK...
            UT3 was running under linux, Ryan shown off some screenshot of it. It's simply a matter that it never was completed, either for technical or legal reasons. Now, Ryan change to source code have surely been incorporated into the engine source and by the same time, in the UDK. So, wait and see

Comment

Yes it's 3 years old. But Quake3 is much older and it's used regularly in phoronix benchmarks. Having a modern game to benchmark video drivers would be a very good thing for linux.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
                Unreal Tournament 3 was released for the PC over three years ago, and as sad as it may be, if the Linux client was released today it still would be rated highly in terms of its graphical capabilities and game-play simply due to the lack of other first-rate commercial games on Linux. The Linux gaming scene is beginning to improve thanks, in particular, to efforts by Unigine Corp and another company, but 2010 was not very exciting while 2011 should be much better.

Pretty much all hopes for the Unreal Tournament 3 Linux client to be finally released have faded away due to mysterious reasons. Last year it was still reported as being worked on by Ryan Gordon and that it was on its way while previously he also showed screenshots of this first person shooter running under Linux.

In October of last year was finally when Epic Games conceded to us they were uncertain about the UT3 Linux client and by this May they were still not hopeful of publicly releasing it -- again for reasons that haven't been publicly said, yet. Mark Rein then said this past September he doesn't think the Linux game will happen.

Ryan continues to be silent on the matter or his ongoing work, but he is working on something. There's "exciting things approaching" in the coming months while he is being hush for now on the matter, but it's not about Epic's Unreal Tournament 3.

This morning the North Carolina game company is officially announcing the Unreal Development Kit for iOS so that Unreal Engine 3 games can be developed for Apple's iPhone and iPad. But if you thought these recent developments with Epic Games bringing Unreal Engine 3 to new platforms or Ryan Gordon working on black projects rejuvenated any hope for seeing Unreal Tournament 3 on Linux, forget it. The Linux client is now officially dead.

It's no longer a matter of "I don't think it's going to happen" or "given the lack of progress it seems unlikely the UT3 Linux client will ever be completed" comment, but here is the explicit statement this morning from Steve Polge, Epic's UT3 lead designer: the UT3 Linux client isn't going to happen.

Game over.
                I'll write your next article for you

Steam was released for the PC over seven years ago, and as sad as it may be, if the Linux cclient was released today it still would be rated highly in terms of its digital distribution capabilities and functionality simply due to the lack of other first-rate digital distribution platforms on Linux. The Linux game distribution platform scene is beginning to improve thanks, in particular, to efforts by Wolfire Games and another company, but 2010 was not very exciting while 2011 should be much better.

Pretty much all hopes for the Steam Linux client to be finally released have faded away due to mysterious reasons. Last year it was still reported by me as being worked on by Valve and that it was on its way while previously community members also showed screenshots of this digital distribution platform running under Linux.

In August of this year was finally when Valve conceded to us that they were not working on a Steam Linux client and by this December they were still not hopeful of publicly releasing it -- again for reasons that haven't been publicly said, yet.

Gabe continues to be silent on the matter or his ongoing weight gain, but he is working on something. There's always "exciting things approaching" in the coming months while he is being hush for now on the matter, but it's not about Valve's Steam.

This year the Washington game company is officially announcing the Steam client for Mac so that Source engine games can be developed for Apple's Mac OS X. But if you thought these recent developments with Valve bringing Source Engine to new platforms or Gabe Newell working on black projects rejuvenated any hope for seeing Steam on Linux, forget it. The Linux client is now officially dead.

It's no longer a matter of "I don't think it's going to happen" or "given the lack of progress it seems unlikely the Steam Linux client will ever be completed" comment, but here is the explicit statement from August from Doug Lombardi, Valve's VP of Marketing: The Valve Linux client isn't going to happen.

Game over.

Comment

Consumers decide the outcomes

All it means is that Epic doesn't want/isn't going to get our business, much the same as Bioware . I will continue to pirate their non linux products and running them under wine, and I will continue to purchase the humble indie bundle which has been produced by a company that obviously values my business. This isn't really hard. Your money is your vote, support those who will support you and don't support those who don't. If you really enjoy a game then buy it. I will continue to purchase games from certain series on windows because I enjoy them and wish to see them made. I will continue to not purchase the bulk of games because I either don't like them, or they do not have a Linux port/I don't care about them on windows enough to buy them to get a sequel. Whether steam comes to Linux or not is pretty irrelevant. I think the biggest bonus for Linux gaming right now is the rise of studios that are a credible alternative to Linux Game Publishing. I've been saying it for the last few months, they are an unprofessional organisation. They didn't have redundancy on their servers (and they claim to be Linux geeks), Their website looks pathetic and this is the company claiming to represent linux gaming? They have had a few small successes with things like X2/X3, but seriosuly, is it that difficult to aim to be ASPYR for Linux? Speaking of which has anyone bothered to approach ASPYR about getting some rights to ports? They handled a ton of mac ports which were proper native ports. I still think the biggest problem with Linux game development is the level of effort being expended by the companies doing the porting to contact/reach out to the industry for rights to games. Moving forwards I think the indie scene is going to rapidly grow on linux and will entice the big boys to enter the scene eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by leif81 View Post
                    Yes it's 3 years old. But Quake3 is much older and it's used regularly in phoronix benchmarks. Having a modern game to benchmark video drivers would be a very good thing for linux.
                    vegastrike, current svn.. or 0.6 when it is released. Pretty heavy. Especially the asteroid fields.

Comment

It's only mostly dead.

Comment

Working...
                      X