Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera 11 Web-Browser Released

Phoronix: Opera 11 Web-Browser Released

There's lots of new software being released this week prior to the holidays and year's end, including the release of the Opera 11.0 web-browser. The Norwegians have been hard at work on Opera 11 and it's now officially available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't remember you covering Opera before. As a fan, I already knew about this but thanks for reporting it to the masses.

Comment

I used to be a big Opera fan, but these lattest versions (since 10.5) have been very unstable, and they crash all the time. It also takes longer to startup than other browsers and has a few very minor (but very annoying) usability quirks. Also, it's javascript engine measures really good in benchmarks, but in real use it slows down and stutters quite a bit. That being said, I still think it's the most beautiful and well design browser out there and it's a shame I can't use it due to the aforementioned issues (and lack of firebug). Maybe this new version will be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
        I don't remember you covering Opera before. As a fan, I already knew about this but thanks for reporting it to the masses.
        I do sometimes... This morning I saw that it came out and it made me crave some Lutefisk and Lefse so I decided tor report on it
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Could you try running several of the speed test on some different browsers - both 32bit and 64bit under Linux

SunSpider and html5test come to mind

Would be nice to see how firefox 3.x& 4.x, Chrome 8 & 9 compete against Opera 10.x & 11

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            Could you try running several of the speed test on some different browsers - both 32bit and 64bit under Linux

SunSpider and html5test come to mind

Would be nice to see how firefox 3.x& 4.x, Chrome 8 & 9 compete against Opera 10.x & 11
            Not until anyone contributes PTS test profiles for browser tests.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I've been very disappointed in Opera ever since they ditched Qt - which was around 10.5. Unstable, ugly, and extremely buggy on everything that is not windows.

Tried 11 out. So far saw none of the bugs of before, but there's still the biggest blunder of all: how it decides to partially use my dark gtk theme!

Seriously, I'm not alone in this. Opera only partially decides to use the gtk theme, resulting in such usability wonders as black text on black, or dark highlight on black buttons.

Comment

Opera 11 is quite nice. It is much more stable than 10.5, faster, has several nice new features (tab stacking and extensions), plus an improved email client. Win all around!

On the downside, the Gnome/KDE integration has a few oddities still (doesn't always respect text color and it ignores my directive to disable embedded bitmaps in truetype fonts - but only on Gnome). Still, better than before.

Finally, Opera tends to scroll smoother on my systems (Nvidia, Ati & Intel) than Chrome/Firefox. And they are still using pure software acceleration, it's crazy!

Edit: I also love the fact that it uses native scrollbars (unlike Chrome). However, all three major browsers have oddities with theme integration, esp. with dark themes.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  I've been very disappointed in Opera ever since they ditched Qt - which was around 10.5. Unstable, ugly, and extremely buggy on everything that is not windows.

Tried 11 out. So far saw none of the bugs of before, but there's still the biggest blunder of all: how it decides to partially use my dark gtk theme!

Seriously, I'm not alone in this. Opera only partially decides to use the gtk theme, resulting in such usability wonders as black text on black, or dark highlight on black buttons.
                  I've noticed instability in the preview versions but not in the releases so much. Or maybe it restarts with all my old tabs so quickly that I put it out of mind before it even has time to register. Not that that's okay. I do wish their bug tracker was a bit more open.

I certainly hear you regarding the dark themes. That's been my biggest gripe for a long time. Firefox is almost as bad but seeing Chrome get this almost entirely right was an eye-openener. I have seen some improvement in this release but not much.

Comment

I just benchmarked that browser with peacekeeper. With kde4 it was much faster when the default effects are enabled than disabled (fglrx 10-12 used). You only see the better results.

Comment

Working...
                    X