Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: To the AMD people: Money wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr James View Post
    Oh damn, what is wrong with you people? Wine is 3D in Linux. To the END USER spinning cubes, solitaire and tux racer are NOT replacements for Crysis, WOW, Tomb Raider and other REAL 3D games. Wine provides us with them and thus wine is 3D in Linux. AMD should be focusing Wine gaming compatibility.
    You are confused.

A full Linux system offers a comprehensive set of libraries and APIs, including the OpenGL API with a number of accelerated hardware drivers implementing it.

If people instead write Windows games meant to run on Windows platform, this doesn't mean that a Linux implementation of Windows API is all of the sudden "3D in Linux". It just means that nobody is writing Linux games.

WOW, Tomb Raider and Crysis don't run on Linux. They are not Linux programs. They are Windows programs. They are not "3d on Linux". That's the problem.

Instead of AMD concentrating on Windows compatibility, I think that you should concentrate on Windows compatibility. By installing Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    A very amusing thread. AMD has good Linux support with their ATI drivers? Funny stuff.
    Well, they have support for Linux which is not illegal, so it's a start. And most apps work just fine with them

I find it funny that you are still trolling on here. It is your mission in life to complain about AMD. You've been talking about buying a gfx card for a year now, and have written hundreds upon hundreds of posts about how hardware you do not even own does not work the way you think it should

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Well, they have support for Linux which is not illegal, so it's a start. And most apps work just fine with them

I find it funny that you are still trolling on here. It is your mission in life to complain about AMD. You've been talking about buying a gfx card for a year now, and have written hundreds upon hundreds of posts about how hardware you do not even own does not work the way you think it should
    What's wrong with Windows compatibility? Afterall, they cater to Windows! So, you think they should run trhough hoops to ensure Windows works but then not offer any Windows compatibility in Linux? Gee, that makes sense.

Where are all the Linux games? Are manufacturers spitting out these Linux games in record numbers? It would be nice but until this time, if AMD is going to be Windows-centric, they might as well offer some Windows compatibility.

I have a good idea of what will work or what won't, though. A good way to save money so I don't have to turn around and sell it used and take a loss.

Many people and putting numbers out, without any backup of them, saying much, without any evidence - basically the usual for phoronix forums.

I'll repeat : If your only problem with AMD drivers is that they don't run WINDOWS games under LINUX, then AMD is doing a lot of things right.

There was a time when arguments were actually better What's next, bitching to your monitor manufacturer that your PS3 controller doesn't work?

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    Brand new cards HD 6xxx cards are still not supported on amd web page and no open source support for those. Brand new Nvidia cards get same day support as soon as release or pretty close to it.
    I love the hipocricy. On one hand he pans open-source support for 6xxx cards, on the other hand he praises driver support for nvidia which doesn't even have OSS drivers for 4x0 and 5x0 - and not even a single open-source developer.

Yeah, right.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat
    WOW, Tomb Raider and Crysis don't run on Linux. They are not Linux programs. They are Windows programs. They are not "3d on Linux". That's the problem.

Instead of AMD concentrating on Windows compatibility, I think that you should concentrate on Windows compatibility. By installing Windows
    But... but I want to play the Windows games I pirated without paying for a Windows license! Do you know how much a Windows license costs?

Otherwise, why would someone who pays for $300 video cards and $60 Windows games not dual-boot to Windows to actually play those games? Who in their right mind would pay those amounts and use a freaking emulator instead of the real thing?

(Yeah, I said emulator. Deal with it. )

I'll repeat : If your only problem with AMD drivers is that they don't run WINDOWS games under LINUX, then AMD is doing a lot of things right.
    Yeah... people usually say that fglrx sucks because wine was only designed to work properly with nvidia. I also agree that judging anything in linux by its ability to play windows games is the same as judging ibm-pc compatible hardware (yes, I'm old school, from the time when "pc" and "windows" weren't the same thing) by its ability to run Mac OS.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    I(Yeah, I said emulator. Deal with it. )
    Oh man... you're gonna get your ass kicked now.

Because native Linux games are so numerous and amazing with cutting edge 3D and awesome stories.......

BlackStar: I am currently in a country where NOBODY pays for Windows licenses and piracy is the norm. Yet I choose Linux because it is a superior OS. An OS for the intelligent. And I am in my right mind - on nVidia those games run through wine exectly as they would on Windows. Wine is not an emulator - no performance reduction.