Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 208

Thread: To the AMD people: Money wasted.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Thank you for replying so fast Mr Bridgman.

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    With respect, you are criticizing us for failing to live up to commitments we never made.
    When you sell me a device with an official driver for a platform, logically that implies that the device will perform as advertised on the platform targeted by the driver. That is a commitment. Unless of course you are cheating me, and fooling me into buying something that does not work because a card is useless without the driver.
    The act of providing an official driver is a commitment.

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    What we claim (and I say this with great confidence because I was the one making the claim) was that support for the next generation would happen *sooner* (relative to hardware launch) as a result of starting work on it earlier, not that it would be "great" or even "better" (other than allowing more time for the community to work on the code). If you follow my posts, you'll know that what I talk about for initial support is delivering the *same* level of functionality on new cards as on previous cards.
    Really? So working drivers is not the plan but more semi support for yet another card. So am I to buy a more powerful and expensive card that does nothing more than a 5 year older card does as the drivers are semi functional?

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    When you say "tearing, no 3D" can you be a bit more specific ? All of the currently shipping GPUs include 3D support (except for the just-released HD6xxx parts which are not supported yet) and AFAIK the tearing concerns are with the proprietary driver under certain scenarios, not the open source driver.
    Puleeez, As a Linux dev you know that the only way to play any games that matter is through wine and thus yes, I am talking about 3D in wine and the tearing is in ALL scenarios - or am I missing a scenario other than 2D window movement and video playback? Please enlighten me as to the scenario in which there is no tearing.

    Wine gaming is the only way to seriously game as any game that actually matters is run through wine. Therefore if wine does not run, 3D for me the consumer does not exist - or am I to spend many an hour staring in awe at a 3D cube. For all intents and purposes, WINE IS 3D on Linux.

    Linux users have been feeding on scraps for long enough. Linux users are sick of begging for equal treatment.

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    We work with the community to make initial support available (working code and/or docs) and the open source community does most of the enhancement work. We were told multiple times "just give us programming information and the community will do the rest" - we are doing that and more.
    And that excuses you from providing a working proprietary driver how? Not being able to direct the FOSS development has nothing to do with your own (AMD's) work.

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    The radeon feature matrix is community maintained. Right now nobody agrees on the exact criteria for moving from "mostly" to "done", so the last few generations of hardware are sitting in "mostly". I guess I could launch a community initiative to redefine the criteria on the feature page but it really doesn't seem like the best use of time to me.
    Changing the label does not effect the true status. Right now, the drivers are not complete as I have tried them my self. "Mostly" truly is a better description.

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Are there specific Linux games you are having trouble with, or are your issues mostly related to running Windows games over Wine (which brings another set of challenges) ?
    As stated previously, of course I'm talking about WINE gaming. If you guys don't provide the required documentation and support to the FOSS communities on how to run YOUR hardware, how are wine devs supposed to do their thing? They work with what they got and they got nothing. Even so, they were able to bring Windows games to Linux - quite an accomplishment for them, shame on AMD.



    Qaridarium: You have been saying that the *next* driver will solve all our problems for as long as I have been reading this forum. Notice, again the word "next" appears...


    Linux users are far more than a minority. I truly see Linux as the future - Windows has brought no new real functionality since XP. Thier same API and libraries has simply been having layers added on. If Windows broke compatibility in thier API, trust me Microsoft is done for.

    About the 4 devs thing. That is just sad. But for me, the consumer, I don't care if it is one dev or a million devs. I care about results.

    Again, hardware is useless without a working driver. You sold me uselessness.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    257

    Lightbulb In nVidia land, not everything is green...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr James View Post
    To any AMD graphics driver people:

    Hello.

    I am a linux user and the not so proud owner of an Asus HD5750.

    Niether nvidia not ati has fully supported the FOSS drivers - a driver that provides the much needed KMS and is in sync with the rest of Linux development. ATI has provided some support and for this I thank you.

    Now, Mr Brigman or any other person in connection with AMD, I paid good money for my card(s) and you as a company have stated that you provide support for Linux - a promise. While Nvidia does not support the open
    source work, at least it provides a working proprietary driver - something you do not.

    - 2D is horrible with tearing everywhere - my Nvidia card does not tear while doing anything.
    - Videos are not watchable because of tearing - my Nvidia card is playing all my movies without tearing and without any glitches.
    - Gaming in WINE is not a possibility because everything crashes at startup - not on my Nvidia. Though some say it is the WINE devs fault, were ATI to provide more info I am sure the WINE devs would get it right.
    - Were you to collaborate more with the Linux devs, there would be no gap in which we have to wait and wait for driver support of some new XOrg update.

    Not preaching, but the bible saying regarding religious leaders, that they niether enter the gates of heaven not let those going in to enter, is fully applicable here as you niether provide us with a
    proper proprietary driver nor do you give the FOSS devs the kind of support to provide us with a proper FOSS driver.

    Regarding the FOSS driver, you provide bits of documentation with some patches, put a dev or two to work on the driver a bit, then abandon the driver halfway to work on support for another card. The result
    as the radeon feature matrix shows is 20 cards all incomplete, and all with limping experimental 3D (read "no good for games"). What the hell kind of support is that? You get us worked up about how the *next* (it's always
    the *next* isn't it) card will have great support because you started working on it several months in advance. Guess what? The result will be the same as the other cards: semi-working, tearing, and with no 3D. And then you'll
    talk about great support with the *next* card.

    When you guys said "we provide Linux driver support", that was a promise you have yet to keep. When exactly can I expect a *FULLY* working FOSS or proprietary driver that does what I bought the card for in the first place?

    I had already bought my ATI card (as I respected AMD during my Windows experience) when I came to Linux. Had I known I would be forever masturbating with the ATI cards, I would have gotten laid with an Nvidia card.

    I, as most all, really hate buying something and not getting my money's worth.

    Thank you.
    I agree with you in some of your points. But I disagree with you in the following ones:

    1- Yes, I've some (little) tearing in my videos, but I can use HW acceleration with VAAPI (even if it's a bit rudimentary and sometimes doesn't work due to driver updates). And after all, you also have this problem on Windows (although it seems to not happen so frequently).

    2- No 3D acceleration?! It might be a problem you have. Most people here doesn't have it. Furthermore, I can play almost all my games in Linux at very acceptable framerates (some even faster than on Windows).

    3- No games with Wine?! I can play some DX9 games such as FarCry, Max Payne2 or similar ones without any major glithces. HL2 has some little issues, but mostly of the time works properly (at least for me).

    4- Bad Linux support? I think we also have to blame linux kernel dev's because they're always changing the DRM stack.

    5- Xorg dev's are also a bit "narrowminded", and sometimes, seem to forget about the existence of proprietary blobs. If they didn't exist, there wouldn't be any multimedia workstations using Linux.


    Now, agreeing with you, I'm going to talk about my personal "rants":

    1- I don't understand why in (some) older releases, my r600 cards worked properly with UVD DxVA and VAAPI acceleration. Now, I can't get them to work... And I think it's a bad policy if you are really disabling driver features, because not every people buys a new laptop every 3 years (like me, for instance...)

    2- I don't know what really is your support (for instance, bug reporting, driver feedback, etc.) for Linux, but it seems, at least, almost negligible. And it's not good to "forget" your users (even if they're just a few).


    Finally, I'm going to talk about some "nice" nVidia stories (real facts):

    - I've a few colleagues (in my graduation course), that bought laptops with GF9xxx and GF8xxx cards (because of the CUDA support). Guess what?
    They were severly affected by design faults in their cards. After the guarantee time ended (in about 3 years), most of their laptops stopped to work. And the fail? nVidia cards. Because the guarantee time expired... you know the rest of the story.

    - There are also some problems recently with nVidia. In recent Xorg releases, I've found ATI is catching up compatibility earlier than nVidia counterpart driver. Furthermore, Some recent drivers also caused overheating with nVidia cards.
    Btw, I think nVidia is better than ATI at the driver's kernel support, (it seems to be more agnostic to kernel updates) and driver features (the interface seems to be more user-friendly).

    So, as I said in the beginning, not everything in nVidia's land is "green"...

    And... that's all folks... (Yes, I know, Bugs Bunny )

    Cheers

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Anybody reading this thread, don't worry about mrjames. What I suspect is most likely is that he is simply using an old driver. He is definitely a wondoze user, he clearly stated that he wants a wondoze experience.... well keep in mind that a wondoze experience involves using 3 different graphics cards just to get the stupid thing installed, installing several drivers, all of which are *supposed* to work, and having them all fail and causing bluescreen, resulting in garbage canning the hardware and buying one that is preconfigured.

    He probably tried installing fglrx with a kernel using kms, it didn't work, fglrx replaced a whole lot of mesa, and now he's tried uninstalling it and it is broken. TOUGH. Go back to wondoze ya cry baby.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    135

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Anybody reading this thread, don't worry about mrjames. What I suspect is most likely is that he is simply using an old driver. He is definitely a wondoze user, he clearly stated that he wants a wondoze experience.... well keep in mind that a wondoze experience involves using 3 different graphics cards just to get the stupid thing installed, installing several drivers, all of which are *supposed* to work, and having them all fail and causing bluescreen, resulting in garbage canning the hardware and buying one that is preconfigured.

    He probably tried installing fglrx with a kernel using kms, it didn't work, fglrx replaced a whole lot of mesa, and now he's tried uninstalling it and it is broken. TOUGH. Go back to wondoze ya cry baby.
    What if latest catalyst 10.12 didn't recognize my Radeon 6850? For me, It's not about being windoze user, it's about AMD support for linux. Simply they don't care their linux costumers... Releasing specs without NDA is only a half job. AMD needed to hire more developer to support open sourced drivers. Does it make them poor? How much it cost to them? I really wonder how much AMD paid for linux developers, specially open source devs...

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Anybody reading this thread, don't worry about mrjames. What I suspect is most likely is that he is simply using an old driver. He is definitely a wondoze user, he clearly stated that he wants a wondoze experience.... well keep in mind that a wondoze experience involves using 3 different graphics cards just to get the stupid thing installed, installing several drivers, all of which are *supposed* to work, and having them all fail and causing bluescreen, resulting in garbage canning the hardware and buying one that is preconfigured.

    He probably tried installing fglrx with a kernel using kms, it didn't work, fglrx replaced a whole lot of mesa, and now he's tried uninstalling it and it is broken. TOUGH. Go back to wondoze ya cry baby.
    Now, now, Mr. droidhacker, don't be like that. Rather than scaring-'n-flaming him like this, it is better to help and educate him, no?
    It'll make your day, believe me (..or not).

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Man, you forget, I dont have personal power plant in the backyard
    I really want Evergreen to push the Hz down unless its used.
    come one i have a power plant 2 rooms from me away but this only means i'm high skilled in Electricity.

    yes you can use profiles and drop down all to low this save more power than anything else.




    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Didnt know about Evergreen 2.1/3.0 OpenGL support, thought its only 2D. Great news indeed. So, that means I can upgrade the card(5850 or 5870), if power management works.
    yes right if you are happy with selecting profiles by hand because the auto function isn't ready yet.




    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    6850/70 is not supported, right?
    the 6850 is not a big deal the OS driver will come very fast.

    the 6970 is a new architecture this will get some more time.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Anybody reading this thread, don't worry about mrjames. What I suspect is most likely is that he is simply using an old driver. He is definitely a wondoze user, he clearly stated that he wants a wondoze experience.... well keep in mind that a wondoze experience involves using 3 different graphics cards just to get the stupid thing installed, installing several drivers, all of which are *supposed* to work, and having them all fail and causing bluescreen, resulting in garbage canning the hardware and buying one that is preconfigured.

    He probably tried installing fglrx with a kernel using kms, it didn't work, fglrx replaced a whole lot of mesa, and now he's tried uninstalling it and it is broken. TOUGH. Go back to wondoze ya cry baby.
    what da fuck are you doing??? ????? come one he try to use linux thats not bad. maybe he is new give him an helping hand.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Death Knight View Post
    AMD needed to hire more developer to support open sourced drivers.
    man amd does hire more devs fore the linux driver. what is your problem about that ?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Hi!

    And it's rolling again, all the stupid flame
    Please do read this before bashing AMD http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...=109199&page=5 , I personally have better experience with AMD than nVidia on laptops.
    Author is mixing all stuff together and blame just AMD - unfair!!!
    Wine is for volunteers, no-one said game X will run there flawlessly.
    I have no tearing in videos since 10.9 or so (don't remember exactly what time, but it stopped), but to be fair - I don't watch movies much on laptop...
    I have all linux games running on my laptop, that including Q1, Q2, Q3, SS, SSFB, SSSB, SSII, OA, ET, Amnesia, etc.
    But I don't use OS drivers, bcoz fglrx IS better...
    And don't trust just words, try out for Yourself! Properly!

    P.S. When I first read the message I remember someone saying "don't feed the troll", oops it happened again

    regards
    Kirurgs

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr James View Post
    Puleeez, As a Linux dev you know that the only way to play any games that matter is through wine and thus yes, I am talking about 3D in wine and the tearing is in ALL scenarios - or am I missing a scenario other than 2D window movement and video playback? Please enlighten me as to the scenario in which there is no tearing.
    Wine gaming is the only way to seriously game as any game that actually matters is run through wine. Therefore if wine does not run, 3D for me the consumer does not exist - or am I to spend many an hour staring in awe at a 3D cube. For all intents and purposes, WINE IS 3D on Linux.
    Linux users have been feeding on scraps for long enough. Linux users are sick of begging for equal treatment.
    you are right wine support is very important

    but you are wrong about the radeon driver because they support all wine specific openGL extensions in openGL3.x/4.x

    the only point radeon lose is the law and order politic because S3TC is needed but Patented means its again the law to support that.

    in germany/europe all software patents are valid if they are linked to an hardware feature.

    means you beat the OS driver team for stay in law and order.

    thats not very nice.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr James View Post
    Qaridarium: You have been saying that the *next* driver will solve all our problems for as long as I have been reading this forum. Notice, again the word "next" appears...
    "all" i only talk about the tearing bug.

    and i do not make fun on you.

    do you know? giving away NDA informations are dangerous because again the law and you beat me because i light you up?

    are you serious ?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •