To the AMD people: Money wasted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
    I'm running Mandriva cooker kde 4.85 compositing enabled.. No desktop tearing no issues with Firefox no 2D issues at all.
    How many monitors are you running?

Which version of Catalyst?

Comment

• Hi Yall & Mr James & Mr Q,

I see we, Mr James & I, have an aversion to BS. Zombies love to roll in it, poor things....

A suggestion, to ATI/AMD, make it explicate on your site, that you do not fully support Linux and give the cases users have been notifying you of for years, to wit compositing & video play back. Which particular kernels you are supporting, which xorg, etc, etc....?

How about getting radical, me old mate Bridgie?!?!

You could even supply a list of WINE apps known to work and under what software environments?

I mean, it is not like Linux users game in WINE and pay "your" (to wit AMD/ATI-not you personally! :-) ), wages when they (I could list a long list of AMD/ATI hardware. Right now, an X6 1090). Why not do this with the Tuxian community? You would get mega kudos.

Well?

Mr Q, I love it that you do not take yourself to seriously, like the Zombie hordes hearabouts. A little humour goes a long way!:-)

Yet again, I truely hopes, ATI brings home the driver bacon next month-but I have stopped waiting personally.

Peace and best wishes of the season to all, ESPECIALLY THE ZOMBIES!

GreekGeek :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by devius View Post
        All Hail nVIDIA!! Death to ATI!!! Oh wait... it's already dead. I mean AMD!!!
        </sarcasm>

Now on a more serious note, there should be a poll on the site to gather just how many people have problems with either fglrx or nvidia drivers. I see posts where people also complain about nvidia, but no one pays much attention to those. Everytime there is a post like "HD 5770 doesn't work, fuck ati" then everybody likes to take a swing at fglrx. I had 3 nvidia and 2 ati gpus so far, and not one of them showed any problems. I suspect I'm not alone, but judging from posts like this one, it seems to be practically impossible to run an amd gpu on linux.

No, you are not alone, I have had a good selection of both AMD and Nvidia cards and I have little trouble with any of them, both useing the close src drivers. Both 3D games and video have been no problem. I find interesting apparently so many are having problems that I do not have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr James View Post
          I'm seeing a hell of alot of people with similar problems with AMD venting out on this my little thread. My God, half the posters in this thread are "trolls" it would seem...

GreekGeek, I highly dought any AMD driver dev is on a Linux only PC at home with an AMD card. His wife would throw him and the card out.

I don't know about you guys, but I have to game on a PC. I can't afford buying a Wii for one game and a PS3 for another........and wind up buying 50 consoles. I have a couple games I like to play and want to play them properly - the nVidia blob while I hate it, alongside WINE allows this.

Oh and yeah, for those saying go Windows if you want to play Windows games, in a weak attempt to blame me instead of the AMD drivers for my problems, how about watching a movie? Of should I go Windows for that also?
          Mate, get your head on straight. You can't expect people to take you seriously if you're complaining about _windows_ games not running properly on _linux_.
          You're also blaming AMD for what could very well be errors in wine. You've not given any solid examples of what is actually going wrong - any error output, dmesg output, driver version being used, etc. If I missed a post with that, I apologise in advance.
          If you want to read about nvidia problems btw, head on over to nvnews.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldar View Post
            While opensource driver is of course good, I'm still sceptical about it. Catalyst on windows and on linux share the same code, so with catalyst we have a chance of getting a comparable driver with all latest and greatest stuff. With opensource that will mean years and years of development to get even closer... At the same time opensource can be good for older cards, which are not supported by the manufacturer anymore. But in my case with geforce 7600 I've been using an official driver for 3 years, never had any problems, although probably it's not the oldest card possible.
            Yep. I've used nVidia long ago, on linux, with their driver. Since geforce MX4xxx. It never get me down . But on the long run..

Yeah, for now, it's paradise, but what about tomorrow? How they interact with kernel, etc.. I want a system that integrated well enough, to a level that stable enough.

Originally posted by mirv View Post
            It's not just 4 developers - it's a community effort, and some of them happen to be employed directly by AMD. The manpower comes from the community as a whole (. Considering the community just wanted documentation, what AMD is doing is quite extraordinary, and shows that they are quite serious about it.
            Yeah, I know.. But can't resist to post comments . It's seems it taking a long windy rainy blocky way for AMD end-users.

Comment

• Also while wine is a great project, I personally have no problems keeping windows in dual boot. That way you can save yourself a lot of troubles(actually depends on what you want from your linux experience - write the code, or bugreports and help developers improve Wine and other projets ).

Comment

• Originally posted by GreekGeek View Post

How about getting radical, me old mate Bridgie?!?!

You could even supply a list of WINE apps known to work and under what software environments?
                i'm sorry, but lets be realistic here - Even WineHQ doesn't entirely succeed at that goal, you really expect AMD to have employee's test all their cards plus god knows how many software packages plus god knows how many apps....

shoot, even sorting through all the reports on winehq would be a massive task, and that still wouldn't give anywhere near a comprehensive list.

and all to find which software doesn't work due to bugs that are quite possibly(i'd even go so far as to say more then likely) not even in thier drivers, but in a 3rd party program?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
                  No, you are not alone, I have had a good selection of both AMD and Nvidia cards and I have little trouble with any of them, both useing the close src drivers. Both 3D games and video have been no problem. I find interesting apparently so many are having problems that I do not have.
                  agreed, especially since i've used 3 different cards in the last few months (a 3200 integrated, a 4650, and a 4830) and i update to the newest version of the driver within a day or two of its release.

actually i've had a more annoying issue with nvidia then i ever had with AMD, a recurring vram leak that would pop up every other driver release or so and cause my computer to crash at least once a day. i should note this was several years back.

Comment

• Originally posted by devius View Post
                    Now on a more serious note, there should be a poll on the site to gather just how many people have problems with either fglrx or nvidia drivers.
                    Not sure that would prove anything, since you'd only poll registered Phoronix users.
                    Also nVidia users having issues complain on the nVnews boards. Since there is no official AMD equivalent, the blunt of the rants about fglrx appear here.

Mr James, if you want Wine to work better with fglrx, there is a simple fix: send ATI cards to each Wine dev.
                    Otherwise, accept that fglx will constantly have to play catch-up.

Comment

• Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                      Not sure that would prove anything, since you'd only poll registered Phoronix users.
                      Also nVidia users having issues complain on the nVnews boards. Since there is no official AMD equivalent, the blunt of the rants about fglrx appear here.

Mr James, if you want Wine to work better with fglrx, there is a simple fix: send ATI cards to each Wine dev.
                      Otherwise, accept that fglx will constantly have to play catch-up.
                      You buy them, I'll send them, deal?

Comment

Working...
                      X