To the AMD people: Money wasted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by popper View Post
    "Blackstar:Suffice to say that Wine is the least of their problems (both for Nvidia *and* Ati)."

so wait a few weeks and go buy a New SandyBridge and get a free Encode/Decode HD Engine with that new and improved internal Gfx chip and free OSS Driver code for your laptop or new desktop, perhaps get a dual/Quad PCiE slot Motherboard too so you can keep trying your other Gfx Cards without pulling them each time too
    Actually, I just want something with OpenGL 4.1, xrandr and vsync. Right now it's three options, pick two: Nvidia supports GL and vsync, Ati supports GL and xrandr, Intel supports xrandr and vsync. sigh

If fglrx 11.1 actually solves the vsync issue, I think I'll finally have a solution (after 6 years, great!)

Comment

• Yes, having to use nvidia-settings or even modified xorg.conf for 2 separate screens is really annoying. You could script some things however but using the integrated tools into kde would be much nicer ov course.

Comment

• Some people in this thread really get on my nerves.

When somebody has at least for some part a valid complained, he is told to go get windows.

Do these people want me to post here, the problems I had the last few days with windows 7 and Aliens vs Predator 2 ?
        I have solved it, with reg-cleaner.

I have build a new pc. AMD phenom II X4 3.2 g and an ASUS HD 5750.
        4 gig of ram.

After installing Suse 11.3, which is supported by ATI, I cant even use firefox normal.

When I scroll an internet page, I see lag which reminds me of my atari ST.
        (motorola 68000 2MB of ram) when scroling through large text files.

Because I am a gamer too, my pc is dual boot.
        Aliens vs Predator 3 was released, and it suported Direct X11.

( that rules out W Xp too )

On suse I cant even open the command center.

I am talking about open Suse 11.3 64bit and the catalyst 10.11.

I have not lost my patient totally, and maybe 10.12 will make me smile,
        but I have this card now for 6 months.

If AMD wants to keep me as a costumer, they really need to speed things up.

About nvidia. I have to admitt, that I had less problems with my nvidia in 4 years then in the last 4 months with ati on linux.

Would I have more money ati probably already had lost me.

My prevous pc was dual boot too.
        The nvidia windows driver had allot more features then the Linux counterpart.

To end this rant.
        I am not saying nvidia is that great, but imagine my disappointment, that I am running a supported linux distro, and firefoc is not even working right.

Cynical, I like to make this statement.

AMD SUSE and or firefox most have great programmers, that they can make my pc slow with a webbrowser.....

Comment

• What drivers are you using? Upgrade to fglrx 10.12, it's quite a bit better all around.

Comment

• The 10.12 driver is exactly the same for me as every previous release - just double the download size. I am not "seeing" the extra size do anything...

Comment

• Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
              Some people in this thread really get on my nerves.

When somebody has at least for some part a valid complained, he is told to go get windows.
              No, you're only told to use Windows if you complain about running windows games.

Firefox problems are a legitimate complaint (for fglrx), as is tearing (on fglrx). Nobody told anyone to use windows because of those.

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                No, you're only told to use Windows if you complain about running windows games.

Firefox problems are a legitimate complaint (for fglrx), as is tearing (on fglrx). Nobody told anyone to use windows because of those.
                Finally, the voice of reason!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr James View Post
                  The 10.12 driver is exactly the same for me as every previous release - just double the download size. I am not "seeing" the extra size do anything...
                  Just to make sure all bases are covered and it's actually the driver, it is using fglrx, right? What does glxinfo say? (Does AMD still use fgl_glxinfo or whatever it was called?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
                    Just to make sure all bases are covered and it's actually the driver, it is using fglrx, right? What does glxinfo say? (Does AMD still use fgl_glxinfo or whatever it was called?)
                    fglrxinfo

/

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                      What drivers are you using? Upgrade to fglrx 10.12, it's quite a bit better all around.
                      I will, but when I went to the AMD site yesterday, and selected 64 bit Linux, it showed me the 10.11 driver.

There was some good news too, after a kernel update, I had not have to re install the ati drivers.

With nvidia, I always had to re install the nvidia drivers after a kernel update.

But the firefox problem really pisses me off.

We cant expect AMD and opesuse to test every program there is, but damn, firefox, which has a native linux vesion, should just work.

I will not whine about wine, but I have two games here I want to run on wine. ( they do not run on win7 32 bit )
                      Both Direct X 9 games, so I am optimistic.

I don't care about the size of the driver. But that might be because I am lucky to live in the Netherlands.
                      There is a strong competition overhere, between the telephone companies ADSL, and the cable companies. ( because 95 % of the dutch can choose if they want internet from the cable or the telephone company.

Now I have for 45 euro's a month, Internet, telephone and TV.
                      Internet 1.5 MB up and 25 MB down.

Comment

Working...
                      X