Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by t.s. View Post
    +1
    Now, I wish AMD's more serious about their open-source driver too. Not a half-ass work like now (4 developer said it all).

If there's more man power, Bridgman and others whose do the programming will be much helped too, no?
    While opensource driver is of course good, I'm still sceptical about it. Catalyst on windows and on linux share the same code, so with catalyst we have a chance of getting a comparable driver with all latest and greatest stuff. With opensource that will mean years and years of development to get even closer... At the same time opensource can be good for older cards, which are not supported by the manufacturer anymore. But in my case with geforce 7600 I've been using an official driver for 3 years, never had any problems, although probably it's not the oldest card possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by t.s. View Post
      +1
      Now, I wish AMD's more serious about their open-source driver too. Not a half-ass work like now (4 developer said it all).

If there's more man power, Bridgman and others whose do the programming will be much helped too, no?
      It's not just 4 developers - it's a community effort, and some of them happen to be employed directly by AMD. The manpower comes from the community as a whole (. Considering the community just wanted documentation, what AMD is doing is quite extraordinary, and shows that they are quite serious about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by dekomote View Post
        Um, no they don't. 2 days ago, i got Humble bundle, and there are artifacts in OSMOS, random lines across the screen... Same happens with Revenge of the Titans.
        I don't get it. Either not all graphics cards are created equal or I chose the right AMD/ATI one. I just tried Osmos and it runs perfectly.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
          Considering the community just wanted documentation, what AMD is doing is quite extraordinary, and shows that they are quite serious about it.
          And that they still have to withstand a whole bunch of flak for no reason other than users' cluelessness.

Putting the "Wine is the be all, end all of Linux gaming" issue aside, I'm wondering why the OP refuses to even consider Wine itself would be at fault rather than fglrx.

When AA was artificially disabled on ATI hardware in Batman: Arkham Azylum, did anyone blame Catalyst?

Comment

• Hi Mr James, Eldar & Yall,

Mr James, I admire your bravery! FGLRX, for Linux only use, is still lacking for consumers; vsync in composited is an ugly mess and has been for years. The ATI/AMD driver team is obviously too small. Conversely, Nvidia's driver does this and has done this, for years. Since ATI/AMD sell into the consumer space, but do not support this space correctly and in a timely fashion, with functional drivers-I call them out as a rip-off with you. (As for my 5850 & 4870, thanks a lot for offering a refund, on the Linux FAIL guys. Eldar, you may also get ripped off, if you invest in a "future possibility.")

Mr Q is a nice guy and for the last, um, three years, he has been saying the second coming is "next month." Bless his cotton socks. I could set my clock, by that prognostication. :-)

For the benefit of the ATI users, I hope Q is right next month....

Reminds me of Alice in Wonderland. "The rule is jam yesterday, jam tomorrow, BUT NEVER JAM TODAY!"

If you want your card, with the most functionality today, Nvidia GTX 570 is your best working now in the real world choice.

The case with Wine is murky. Here we have the usual, "he said, she said," games, of two streams of software devs, to wit FGLRX & WINE.

Fact now is, FGLRX and WINE, play like rubbish. Dump/Sell the dam thing and put that $ towards a working solution. Nvidia.

Ignore the legions of ATI/AMD zombies in these parts. I treat them like a really bad, tragic, screen saver, shudder and move on....

GreekGeek :-)

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned. --The Buddha.

Comment

• All Hail nVIDIA!! Death to ATI!!! Oh wait... it's already dead. I mean AMD!!!
              </sarcasm>

Now on a more serious note, there should be a poll on the site to gather just how many people have problems with either fglrx or nvidia drivers. I see posts where people also complain about nvidia, but no one pays much attention to those. Everytime there is a post like "HD 5770 doesn't work, fuck ati" then everybody likes to take a swing at fglrx. I had 3 nvidia and 2 ati gpus so far, and not one of them showed any problems. I suspect I'm not alone, but judging from posts like this one, it seems to be practically impossible to run an amd gpu on linux.

Comment

• OSMOS plays smooth for me here on radeon hd 4290 by the way, catalyst 10.11.

Comment

• I'm seeing a hell of alot of people with similar problems with AMD venting out on this my little thread. My God, half the posters in this thread are "trolls" it would seem...

GreekGeek, I highly dought any AMD driver dev is on a Linux only PC at home with an AMD card. His wife would throw him and the card out.

I don't know about you guys, but I have to game on a PC. I can't afford buying a Wii for one game and a PS3 for another........and wind up buying 50 consoles. I have a couple games I like to play and want to play them properly - the nVidia blob while I hate it, alongside WINE allows this.

Oh and yeah, for those saying go Windows if you want to play Windows games, in a weak attempt to blame me instead of the AMD drivers for my problems, how about watching a movie? Of should I go Windows for that also?

Comment

• Originally posted by GreekGeek View Post
                    Mr James, I admire your bravery!
                    Thank you sir. It is not bravery though - it is just that I am allergic to bullshit and hate not getting what I paid for.

Comment

• Funny how some peeps like me, a simple end user,I haven't got half the problems with my 5770 that are being reported.

I'm running Mandriva cooker kde 4.85 compositing enabled.. No desktop tearing no issues with Firefox no 2D issues at all.
                      I can watch movies tear free some vaapi accelerated others not..depends on how it was encoded.
                      So what some games I have don't work with wine..a non issue since I dual boot..and at the rate things are improving it won't be long before I can just game in a virtual xp set up rather than use wine or boot to windows.

But you all go ahead and stomp your feet and gnash your teeth if it makes you feel better..Or you could have just stuck with Nvidia since all your issues have been known for Years..
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                      Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
                      X