The Humble Indie Bundle #2 Has Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Remco View Post
    This bundle completely fails on my crack-powered r600g setup, but still... awesome release! Will have to play the games on my secondary nvidia machine for now.
    So Cortex Command fails on it? Are you running 64-bit Intel on that machine? If not...what are you running and what's the problems you're seeing?

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      So Cortex Command fails on it? Are you running 64-bit Intel on that machine? If not...what are you running and what's the problems you're seeing?
      I had not yet tried Cortex Command. Wanted to wait until it was finished. I'm running 64-bit AMD + onboard HD4200. I can give you the following bugs:

On start, the game puts my monitors in low-res clone mode. It does not turn back to normal on exit.
      Changing the resolution and restarting does not have effect. (Maybe config permissions problem because I installed with sudo?)

No other problems so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
        I had not yet tried Cortex Command. Wanted to wait until it was finished.
        It's actually finished enough to play... It just doesn't have the campaign mode completed. That'll be available down the line.

I'm running 64-bit AMD + onboard HD4200. I can give you the following bugs:

On start, the game puts my monitors in low-res clone mode. It does not turn back to normal on exit.
        Changing the resolution and restarting does not have effect. (Maybe config permissions problem because I installed with sudo?)

No other problems so far.
        Thanks for the feedback... It's appreciated.

Low-res clone mode is it's default mode (game presumes 640x480 by default...) should be something you can adjust upward in the options menu there. Don't know why it's not going back unless there's a bug with your AMD drivers (FOSS or fglrx).

As an aside...one should presume that it's a major re-work to make the game "fully Linux aware". Doing a global installation will cause issues on many titles coming in from other worlds to Linux. You're presuming right on permissions. Later versions will hopefully pick up PhysicsFS support. We just didn't have time for it to make the bundle. If you'll adjust your permissions accordingly, you should be able to correct the config problem. It doesn't do game saves right at the moment, so as a fallback, you can go into the Base.rte directory and edit Settings.ini to adjust it to the desired resolution (Fields to edit are very obvious when you open the file...)

Comment

It's actually finished enough to play... It just doesn't have the campaign mode completed. That'll be available down the line.

Thanks for the feedback... It's appreciated.

Low-res clone mode is it's default mode (game presumes 640x480 by default...) should be something you can adjust upward in the options menu there. Don't know why it's not going back unless there's a bug with your AMD drivers (FOSS or fglrx).
          I think I know what's going on. I have a 1920x1200 monitor and a 1280x1024 one. The game requests a 640x480 display mode. This sets my monitors in clone mode @ 640x480 resolution. Now, after I quit the game, the system tries to restore the monitors, but it's still cloned. So the restore is messed up and both end up at 1280x1024 showing the same picture.

Where this problem lies, I don't know. Could be the application, could be somewhere in the driver (free one), could be X. I'm thinking the application though. If gnome-display-properties can have proper control over my monitors, then any application can. The big question is: how do you apply a simple resolution change onto a system with multiple monitors that can have different resolutions and rotations (and, apparently, reflections), can be cloned, or even turned off? For a correct solution, you'd have to at least specify on which monitor you want to play, turning the others off. Rotation would be geek bonus points... have you ever wished you could play your games @ 1200x1920 narrowscreen?

Comment

I think I found the culprit for the 64-bit problem on Intel machines. I'll know in the morning when I get up. If so, there'll be a build up shortly after that and I'll try to get the Humble Bundle guys the build in hand.

Comment

Would be interesting to know what caused the problem. Btw. i reported a very simple hotfix for the bad RevengeOfTheTitans debs in the wolfire irc channel and mailed puppygames, did not even get a mail back... The hotfix is extra simple, can be used with i386 and amd64, just take it as example:
              Code:
              dpkg-deb -x RevengeOfTheTitans-HIB-i386.deb RevengeOfTheTitans
              dpkg-deb -e RevengeOfTheTitans-HIB-i386.deb RevengeOfTheTitans/DEBIAN
              dpkg-deb -b RevengeOfTheTitans
              sudo dpkg -i RevengeOfTheTitans.deb
              The problem existed because the deb was generated in a strange way with leading / in the tar, as you even see in the DEBIAN/md5sums, which usually do NOT contain leading /, but that's not that critical.

Comment

Distro please? I've beaten and beaten on that install bundle and it should've put a menu item in there.
                Any distro. Tried it on my LFS with gnome, LFS without gnome, and live Ubuntu 10.10. As I mentioned, error only happens if the install path contains spaces (i.e. /home/Cortex Command rather than /home/CortexCommand).

So you're doing the Cortex Command port? That's awesome; guess we'll get patches after all

Comment

Svartalf I have a strange mouse problem in cortex command. It's like I have mouse acceleration on but it's the reverse! IE the faster I move the pointer the slower the mouse moves. And if i try to move it in a circle it starts "teleporting" around.

I've only tried the 64bit version so I don't know if this is also in the 32bit one.
                  How ever I've had the same problem in other apps. And the problem there was that I have a high mouse polling rate on my mouse and the program cant keep up with all the info that gets sent to it.
                  In most cases the devs for those programs set a cap in the program to solve it.
                  But perhaps HW cursor can solve this problem? If you are not already using it...

Comment

Originally posted by ZedDB View Post
                    Svartalf I have a strange mouse problem in cortex command. It's like I have mouse acceleration on but it's the reverse! IE the faster I move the pointer the slower the mouse moves. And if i try to move it in a circle it starts "teleporting" around.

I've only tried the 64bit version so I don't know if this is also in the 32bit one.
                    Got the same problem here with the 32bit build.

Comment

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
                      Any distro. Tried it on my LFS with gnome, LFS without gnome, and live Ubuntu 10.10. As I mentioned, error only happens if the install path contains spaces (i.e. /home/Cortex Command rather than /home/CortexCommand).

So you're doing the Cortex Command port? That's awesome; guess we'll get patches after all
                      Thanks for the tip, I had the same problem here

Comment

Working...
                      X