Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by awesomeness View Post
    pc gaming is dying.
    WELCOME, VISITOR FROM THE '90s! ARE YOU GETTING ENOUGH OXYGEN?

Comment

Originally posted by giselher View Post
      I thouhgt exactly the same.

Maybe It is realy coming.
      Heh... I won't venture a guess on Steam at this time. Can't tell you what I don't know.

As for HIB#2...it's coming...very soon now.

Oh, Michael, Ryan's still lurking about doing stuff...can't say any more than that though...

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        As for HIB#2...it's coming...very soon now.

Oh, Michael, Ryan's still lurking about doing stuff...can't say any more than that though...
        Yeah, already got it.

Do I gather Blow finally enlisted Ryan to fix his OpenAL problems?

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          w00t!!! UT3 is still coming.....

Comment

Didn't Alternative Games used to make games for the Commodore 64? BTW, HUMBLE INDIE BUNDLE 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
              PC gaming might be shrinking, but it will ALWAYS be the platform for hardcore gamers.
              Hardcore gamers are called so because they care about the core of games which is gameplay and not graphics.
              Hardcore gamers are the bunch who turn off all textures in Quake 3/Live to better focus on combat.
              Hardcore gamers are the bunch who play Super Meat Boy.
              Hardcore gamers are the bunch who left the PC in masses because they are GAMERS and not hardcore sysadmins who want to fiddle with buggy Windows drivers (let alone the even worse FOSS Linux drivers).

No, the ones that currently make up the majority of PC gamers are not the hardcore. On the contrary. The majority is the casual type who plays an occasional Flash game on Facebook (which also generates revenue which is included in the 10% of all gaming revenue that happens on PC).

PC games lay console games to waste graphically.
              Apart from very few exceptions there are no actual PC games any more. Of the released big name titles pretty much every single one is a Xbox port. "PC games" may have higher resolutions but actually better graphics? No.
              Many of today's developers don't even change graphics any more which leads to the awkward experience that Windows gamers are asked to press the Start button on an non-existing Xbox game pad.

BTW, what platform does new technologies always hit first? Think tesselation, think raytracing (still waiting,) think multiple monitors, and think 3D
              Console gamers don't need multiple displays. They have huge TVs (or even projectors) already.
              True 3D gaming was started by Nintendo on Virtual Boy. It's now taking off on PlayStation 3 and the upcoming Nintendo 3DS.

Don't get me wrong: Games on Linux are fine. I, too, play Quake Live occasionally. But betting corporate success on 1% of a shrinking niche has absolutely no chance of success.
              If one wants to help Linux gaming, go create a good WebGL engine. Enhance WebGL performance in WebKit and Firefox. Then license your WebGL engine to EA, Activision, etc. so they can create actual true cross-platform ad-supported online games.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                Apart from very few exceptions there are no actual PC games any more. Of the released big name titles pretty much every single one is a Xbox port. "PC games" may have higher resolutions but actually better graphics? No.
                Not exactly true. Many ports have additional higher level DX features for PC which are not available to the consoles. Bioshock quickly comes to mind. It's noticable enough that my PS/3 buddy often comments on how much better the graphics are on my PC setup compared to his PS/3 playing the same games on the same model of TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  Hardcore gamers are called so because they care about the core of games which is gameplay and not graphics.
                  Hardcore gamers are the bunch who turn off all textures in Quake 3/Live to better focus on combat.
                  Hardcore gamers are the bunch who play Super Meat Boy.
                  Hardcore gamers are the bunch who left the PC in masses because they are GAMERS and not hardcore sysadmins who want to fiddle with buggy Windows drivers (let alone the even worse FOSS Linux drivers).

No, the ones that currently make up the majority of PC gamers are not the hardcore. On the contrary. The majority is the casual type who plays an occasional Flash game on Facebook (which also generates revenue which is included in the 10% of all gaming revenue that happens on PC).

Many of today's developers don't even change graphics any more which leads to the awkward experience that Windows gamers are asked to press the Start button on an non-existing Xbox game pad.

Console gamers don't need multiple displays. They have huge TVs (or even projectors) already.
                  True 3D gaming was started by Nintendo on Virtual Boy. It's now taking off on PlayStation 3 and the upcoming Nintendo 3DS.

Don't get me wrong: Games on Linux are fine. I, too, play Quake Live occasionally. But betting corporate success on 1% of a shrinking niche has absolutely no chance of success.
                  If one wants to help Linux gaming, go create a good WebGL engine. Enhance WebGL performance in WebKit and Firefox. Then license your WebGL engine to EA, Activision, etc. so they can create actual true cross-platform ad-supported online games.
                  This is a total joke. Which DX11/OpenGL 4 titles are coming out on any console? Oh, I forgot, none. BTW, the Virtual Boy, are you TRYING to make me laugh. 3D my butt, the thing blew from day one. Try to get your Virtual Boy to play any sort of graphically intense game. The display itself couldn't handle it. Hell, it couldn't even display color. Now, for your display argument. What hard core gamer would prefer a single big screen TV to a surround view of ultrafast 30" monitors? The thing you lack with the TV is the surround view. Also, most real gamers WILL fiddle with their PC for the FUN of it. Lastly, WebGL? Seriously? What about people that don't have the capability to have a faster internet connection? What about the lag it would introduce into the graphics subsystem of the game itself. Native will always be better. Lastly, there are really two types of hardcore PC gamers. First, the the hardcore minimalists (the people turning off all textures to get a better view.) Second, the hardcore graphics people (the ones that will dump $3k on a computer without a second thought.)

Comment

This is a total joke.
                    Your disconnect with reality is the actual joke. You twisted the words in my mouth and probably didn't even notice yourself.
                    You asked about 3D and not about good 3D. First 3D: Virtual Boy. First good 3D: PS3. First non-hassle 3D: Nintendo 3DS.

And now, suddenly, there are two kinds of hardcore gamers ? of which both are supposedly focused on PCs.
                    No, there is only one kind of hardcore gamer: The one who actually plays games instead of just looking at them.
                    No hardcore gamer clings to a platform that has fewer and fewer hardcore games available each year.
                    The Gears of War series is pretty much the definition of hardcore games and not available on PCs (except the very first version but that was released very late). PCs don't have Resistance, current Halo titles, Infamous, Prototype, Super Street Fighter 4, Metroid, Killzone, Dead Space Extraction, Shadow Complex,???
                    PCs do have ? at least for now ? Blizzard's games. The sales numbers show that both Starcraft 2 and the new WoW extension topped this year's PC charts. Why? Because they are the only big-name PC-exclusive releases this year. Call of Duty etc. are bigger successes on consoles because almost every gamer already moved there and there is no sign of a reversed trend. Considering the current economy I wouldn't be surprised if expensive PC gaming is going to vanish even faster.

Comment

Do not feed the troll pls

Comment

Working...
                      X