Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say Hello To The Catalyst Linux Driver Christmas Edition

Phoronix: Say Hello To The Catalyst Linux Driver Christmas Edition

AMD's Toronto developers working on the ATI Catalyst Linux driver have just released their last public update of the year. The Catalyst 10.12 Linux driver (along with the Windows version) is now available for those interested in this high-performance, but proprietary, driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is rather good news.
    I remember buying HD4670 card, installing catalyst(that was fglrx at time), getting ~160fps out of openarena on dualcore e5300 and upon exit nicely crashing X straight. The opensource driver was,.. comparable to VESA that time.

Needless to say I returned the card back to the shop and got nvidia 9800 gt. 300 fps, no crashes, absolutely. But again proprietary. And fan spinning 100% unless proprietary driver has started.

But now with 4770 and opensource, things have gotten much better. 60fps in openarena(not everything, but something), no xorg crashes, faster 2D.

So now, AMD is matching Nvidia. I wonder if it was actually the original goal, forget opensource. I really hope not.

Comment

The Catalyst driver is getting better every month, and this will become even more clear in the very beginning of 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        The Catalyst driver is getting better every month, and this will become even more clear in the very beginning of 2011.

mm....wow, you're just in time to win "best phoronix sentance of year 2010"

Comment

i just want them to fix 3 things:
          - not redirecting fullscreen windows even when switching the virtual desktop
          - taking ages to wake up or not waking up at all.
          - no tearing with acceptable performance
          if these 3 issues get fixed i will live happily ever afer.

Comment

Along with it, there was also the new Stream SDK 2.3 released. With UVD access, but on Windows only.

The official Stream page is not yet updated, but download links already exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
              i just want them to fix 3 things:
              - not redirecting fullscreen windows even when switching the virtual desktop
              - taking ages to wake up or not waking up at all.
              - no tearing with acceptable performance
              if these 3 issues get fixed i will live happily ever afer.
              ditto

My 4850 is working like a charm with the open source drivers, no tearing, decent video performance, etc. The 5830 on my notebook with fglrx has awful tearing.

Comment

That is almost for sure the main contender for "lie of the year" in Phoronix forums...

This year, the only improvements I had were the new 2D acceleration architecture (that is even faster on Linux than on Windows), H264/VC-1 video decoding capabilities via VAAPI (HD2600 + HD3650 from 10.4 till 10.7), and some FPS improvements in my HD4650 AGP.

By another side, I stopped to have UVD H264 video acceleration since 10.8 in my r600 cards, but the VAAPI support for my r700 one has improved considerably... Furthermore, I didn't notice considerable 2D acceleration improvements in ATI drivers since Catalyst 10.7...

Cheers

Comment

I updated my script, now it supports 8 pci ids more. Very impressive work ati...

Comment

The Catalyst driver is getting better every month
                    Not true. With 10.11 it made half life 2 and warcraft3 finally completely unplayable. Warcraft3 freezes randomly, half life 2 freezes reproducable:

I tried many different settings in amdcccle including the default config. If you look in the wrong direction at a wrong angle it just freezes. At this canal it was everytime. I tried a geforce 8800gt right after that in the same PC and same wine config etc. and it worked extremely well. Unfortunately the card seems to have a memory error.

I'm now using again the hd4670 but with open source driver. With lib32-mesa-git and xf86-video-ati-git warcraft 3 is pretty laggy and slow but playable... I remember it being much better with r600c on 32bit.
                    With r600g it is actually much better but there I got no mouse pointer...

The only things I am interested in with new catalyst releases:
                    * Will gaming work with NOT freezing either the game or the whole X every several minutes? (i.e. like with nvidia)
                    * Will this issue finally be fixed?
                    Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

catalyst seems to be the only driver I know that has these issues.
                    * Will xvba+vaapi finally work for every h264 video?
                    Examples that were still not working with 10.11:
                    - http://www.sintel.org/download/ < the 1080p mp4 format.
                    - The video I recorded.

Comment

Working...
                    X