Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 10.12 Released for Linux

Good Night,

I'm here to announce Catalyst 10.12 was released for Linux tonight (still no release notes)...

In my preliminary tests, there are no major changes, if you've UVD2. Your videos will play with no major problems. With UVD1 (HD2***/3***), forget it, stick with Catalyst 10.7 or lower version...
    With Xv, you still get "washed coloured" video...

I also heard in Arch Linux forums we still don't have HD68xx support in this release... (What's up with AMD developers? )

Grab it here:

Catalyst 10.12

Cheers!

"The release notes have yet to be officially published by Advanced Micro Devices to detail what is actually changed in this month's Linux driver update. However, when the PDF release notes have been uploaded, you can just expect them to say a few things."

Ha ha, it's like watching Family Guy...

Comment

Originally posted by evolution View Post
      With Xv, you still get "washed coloured" video...
      That is intended behavior, as previously stated by AMD employees. As everybody knows, the majority of people who own a PC and an AMD graphics card always use TVs to connect their PCs to, never computer monitors, and that's why Xv uses the color space of TVs.

Only a small minority of AMD customers hook their PCs up to computer monitors. It's common knowledge, pfft.

Comment

[Rant] ATI Linux Customer Relationship

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        That is intended behavior, as previously stated by AMD employees. As everybody knows, the majority of people who own a PC and an AMD graphics card always use TVs to connect their PCs to, never computer monitors, and that's why Xv uses the color space of TVs.

Only a small minority of AMD customers hook their PCs up to computer monitors. It's common knowledge, pfft.
        Maybe next nVidia release will have as a feature overheating your GPU (like some months ago), or disable completely your monitor (I think it also happened in the past not just only for ATI, but also for nVidia... )

But yes, I feel ashamed of the way AMD has been treating ATI Linux costumers in the latest months...

Cheers

Comment

Lets see if X3:r works with this one

Pete.

Comment

I just gave this driver a try... The invisible models on Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, and Alien Swarm still exist (all use the same segment of the video card). The problem is with the initialization variables most likely tho... Although, i can't properly give this information to amd/ati until they have an official bug report location (and not the unofficial one which has been down for over 2 weeks now).

Comment

If Nvidia doesn't support the drivers suddenly or the support deteriorates suddenly, I wonder if that's actually bad for ATI customers who use Linux. ATI/AMD then have even less incentive to provide good drivers on the Linux side.

Comment

I spotted an interesting set of improvements that where not listed...
                Code:
                dandel@dandel-desktop:~$ fglrxinfo
                display: :0.0  screen: 0
                OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
                OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
                OpenGL version string: 4.1.10362 Compatibility Profile Context
                All this output shows is the driver Claims to be OpenGL 4.1 capable.

Code:
                dandel@dandel-desktop:~$ glxinfo | grep -i version
                server glx version string: 1.4
                client glx version string: 1.4
                GLX version: 1.4
                OpenGL version string: 4.1.10362 Compatibility Profile Context
                OpenGL shading language version string: 4.10
                Same as above... just means all applications see this.

Code:
                dandel@dandel-desktop:~$ glxinfo | grep -i es2_compat
                    GL_AMD_vertex_shader_tessellator, GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility,
                Now this is the fun part... the extension, GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility is part of OpenGL 4.1 that allows for Using OpenGL ES on the desktop with OpenGL Contests.

Comment

I installed 10.12 on my openSUSE 11.3 64bit system last night. Then I connected a new monitor via DVI to my HD3850 (my old monitor was still connected to the other DVI output). amdccc doesn't let me choose 1920x1080 resolution for my new monitor :-( What can I do about it?

A second question: In my notebook I have a Nvidia gpu. Using nvidia-settings I need no superuser rights to change screen resolutions, (dis-)connect a projector. At home amdccc needs superuser rights to change resolutions and also wants to restart the system for some changes.
                  To me it looks as if the AMD solution is less user friendly. Why are there these differences?

Cheers,
                  mibo

Comment

GNOME Shell and OpenCL

I've just picked the new driver yesterday and got slightly disappointed. The thing is, that the GNOME Shell is still not usable (for me). In contrary to the announcements.
                    But for those interested in GPGPU computing, I have a positive message - OpenCL (ATI Stream 2.3) works fine. (As for 10.11 and 10.10 it didn't. At least for me)

Comment

Working...
                    X