No announcement yet.

Unigine Announces The Three New Linux Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Unigine we also hope that the winner teams will ship their games; it's a really hard road even with secured technology platform.

Comment

Can't say I'm too excited about any of the winners.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Can't say I'm too excited about any of the winners.
        Why? What's your problem this time? We hardly even know anything about these games.

Comment

@binstream

I really hope to see a final game soon. Your own game seems to be a bit problematic too however. A benchmark is ok, you can even walk around in it, but i need some action Did you manage to run your engine on osx yet or does it not allow the use of opengl 4 there?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            Why? What's your problem this time? We hardly even know anything about these games.
            Going by the previous work of the chosen ones I have a feeling that these will be equivalent to the bargain bin titles found at the local dept store checkouts. Wasn't impressed with any of the teams previous works. Painkiller was unimpressive and boring (FPS, zzzzzzzzzz), ditto for Steel Storm (yawn, rehash of the 1998'ish game called Rage),and another unimpressive puzzle game like Penumbra series.

Been there, done that, bought the $5 t-shirt to wax my car.

Comment

Going by the previous work of the chosen ones I have a feeling that these will be equivalent to the bargain bin titles found at the local dept store checkouts. Wasn't impressed with any of the teams previous works. Painkiller was unimpressive and boring (FPS, zzzzzzzzzz), ditto for Steel Storm (yawn, rehash of the 1998'ish game called Rage),and another unimpressive puzzle game like Penumbra series.

If they manage to build something as fun as Penumbra, I'm all for it. Maybe it won't make Linux the #1 gaming platform (who thought that would happen anyway), as long as I have fun on Linux, I'm sold.

Comment

Originally posted by werfu View Post
                I think I was assuming they were looking for indie studios only.... Giving licenses to established studios is somewhat disappointing.
                "Indie" doesn't mean what you think it means. They were explicitly looking for dev studios with a proven track record, and I don't blame them. Why give out a coveted free license to some ragtag bumfuck band of clueless noobs? Independent just means that the company is not owned by a larger production/publishing company like Microsoft, EA, Activision Blizzard, ZeniMax, etc.

Comment

Have not played Painkiller and Steel Storm and I always avoid to judge a game by the screenshots I find around, but to compare a puzzle game without knowing any details about it, means that you just don't like the genre and thus you are biased. I don't like FPS also and we have seen plenty in Linux but I can't deny that there is value in this game and some of the best AAA titles ever belong to this genre. For a lot of people (the vast majority a dare to say) they are the first option.
                  Now about the Penumbra trilogy, it wasn't something exceptional but they were good games overall, while their last game, Amnesia, is a masterpiece. Ok it doesn't have replayability and this is a big cons but is not uninmpressive. Not at all.
                  I'm curious about what kind of game would keep you happy though...

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                    Have not played Painkiller and Steel Storm and I always avoid to judge a game by the screenshots I find around, but to compare a puzzle game without knowing any details about it, means that you just don't like the genre and thus you are biased. I don't like FPS also and we have seen plenty in Linux but I can't deny that there is value in this game and some of the best AAA titles ever belong to this genre. For a lot of people (the vast majority a dare to say) they are the first option.
                    Now about the Penumbra trilogy, it wasn't something exceptional but they were good games overall, while their last game, Amnesia, is a masterpiece. Ok it doesn't have replayability and this is a big cons but is not uninmpressive. Not at all.
                    I'm curious about what kind of game would keep you happy though...
                    Puzzle games I used to like, classics like Zork, Myth, etc so I don't think you can call me biased.

Things that I would love to see for a change is something like perhaps a flight combat sim (even if it is along the lines of a a pseudo-sim like HAWX or a space flight sim like Wing Commander or Tie Fighter), or a good RTS without concentration on micromanagement (ala the early C&C's), a good RPG of course, even a classical adventure game would be a nice change (a la Kings/Space Quest), maybe even a arcade type fighting game (Mortal Combat/Street Fighter etc). I would have even liked to see them perhaps give one of the licenses to a community project.

I would have loved to see what could have been done if a project such as Armagetron Advance or the guys who put together the Kings Quest- The Silver Lining fan made game.

There are a lot of genre's that have little to no presence on linux (or if they are they are done they are done very crudely) and I was hoping at least one of these types of games would have been picked.

Comment

One other genre that has next to no representation at all in linux is a freaking sports game.

Comment

Working...
                      X