Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desura as an alternative to Steam

http://www.desura.com/

I stumbled upon this one while browsing mods for Spring.
    It's been mentioned a couple of times in the Steam-related threads here, but not much more.

The homepage seems to identify non-windows guest users as on e.g. Linux you get this on top of the page:
    The Desura client currently only works on Windows PCs. We are working on support for Mac and Linux. To be notified when support is added, please provide your email:
    I suppose that email notifications will help them keep track of players' interest. Who has subscribed yet?

I've used it on my Windows partition to play a few Source mods. I also activated my Humble Indie Bundle 2 on it. I've started to get a little excited about Desura for two reasons.
    First, they have stated their intention to produce a Linux client from the beginning.
    Second, the games selection. There is only a handful of indie games on their client so far, but pretty much all of them have Linux clients. It's a solid enough catalog to allow a lot of us to forgo installing a Windows partition. No big AAA titles so far, but it would be a damn good start.

Comment

Doubt they will last but I do hope they do.

Comment

If anything, I hope this spurs competition for valve.

Comment

Well the UI is simply terrible though

Comment

Diaspora is a nice idea, but it is never going to be Facebook.

Uhm, I meant Desura is a nice idea, but it is never going to be Steam.

Comment

I don't think that's the point. It's based around ModDB and IndieDB. It does let you launch big name games from within it (I use it to play Half-Life 2 mods), but the marketplace contains only indie games at this point.

If all it turned out to be was an indie version of steam, but on Linux, I would be happy. All we have right now are indie games anyway.

Comment

It looks fine and all, but the way they talk doesn't make me think we'll be getting Linux/Mac clients any time in the near future.

http://www.moddb.com/groups/desura/f.../multiplatform

Comment

Well at least they're honest about it. I appreciate that.

Comment

Desura is coming to Linux:

Desura is online games! Have you tried free games on Desura? Which ones are your favorites? let's all play together in free online games on Desura!

Comment

Working...
                    X