AMD's Linux Team Takes Another Blow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    It never hurts to keep an eye on the "careers" pages at amd.com either. Maybe look at reqs 13400, 13544, and 13863 as a start.
    If one were to apply, are you the guy who makes the decision?

Comment

I think we decided that agd5f and a couple of other people would interview candidates for the open source position. I don't remember if I put myself on the list or not.

I am not involved with the other two positions.
      Test signature

Comment

That position should fill fast. There is no shortage of techno geeks in the GTA.

Comment

I think we decided that agd5f and a couple of other people would interview candidates for the open source position. I don't remember if I put myself on the list or not.

Hmm.. maybe I should apply. I live about 5 minutes away. And Alex already knows that I'm not a *complete* fool...

Comment

Would the open source position be something that could be done by remote and build from part time to full time as time progressed?

Comment

Originally posted by Decatf View Post
              There is no shortage of techno geeks in the GTA.
              Just a shortage of competitive hockey teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                Uh oh. I guess that's got to mean something.

But I guess in AMDs case after 7 years maybe they wanted to do something different. And I guess somebody else will follow into their empty position.
                Heh... It means that I left my previous employ during a weak economy because of a disagreement over certain management practices there to get the current contract (now winding down) and got the next one that's likely to go for several years if I want it to (And while I'm of mixed opinions about where I'm going- the work's kind of the thing that would likely induce me to stay a bit... ) and I'm still getting cold-call contacts for Linux related work.

Comment

To be clear, that would be 13863, right?

Comment

No... that would be 13400....

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                      It's funny how I had a better opinion of phoronix about fglrx when it said how bad it was and now I have a much worse opinion when it says how good it is now.
                      First, there is this issue: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26645
                      Very, very annoying.

Then with catalyst 10.11 they made me switch to the Open Source driver again:
                      • Warcraft 3 occassionally just freezes. I have encountered about 6 of this freezes. One time it completely blocked the keyboard and I had to ssh into the pc to kill wine. The other times I could alt+tab and kill it directly. I believe this isn't even openGL 2!
                      • Half Life 2 freezes on some different points in the game when you look in the wrong direction in the wrong angle.
                        Then I got to one point where I couldn't go further because it froze every time.

Here is a little video: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13721560/hl2-3.mkv (FPS was very good actually, it's just the video recording). I tried with several different settings in the amdcccle and with a fresh default config.
                      I then put in a geforce 8800gt. With that card and the exactly same wine configuration it run flawlessly. Unfortunately the memory of this card seems to be broken because sometimes single characters on the console (even on bios screen) are colored and after some time of running applications that I think need much video ram the pc freezes and leaves me with a broken framebuffer etc.

I ran with xorg 1.9 and 2.6.36. What is latest if not that?
                      On the other hand maybe it doesn't work properly because I don't use legacy software.
                      I don't think anyone has said that Wine and fglrx work well together. Who's fault that is tends to depend on who you're talking to, although I think even the Wine devs would tell you they have some work to do to get rid of nvidia specific hacks they're using.

Were you having any problems not Wine-related? That seems more relevant.

Comment

Working...
                      X