No announcement yet.

AMD's Linux Team Takes Another Blow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People come and go, no big deal, and no reason for such an over the top headline. Especially when it concerns their proprietary driver. Really who cares.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
      People come and go, no big deal, and no reason for such an over the top headline. Especially when it concerns their proprietary driver. Really who cares.
      Your wrong.

Why? Your statement is on the third page and the reactions before you all indicated someone did care.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        IIRC, while ATI/AMD has made great strides in supporting Linux, they are still behind in supporting the latest X server. Which means no drivers for new cards on new distro releases.
        Which means I bought nvidia again
        nvidia is pretty much the only game in town for decent graphics on Linux. While their blob's pretty decent, there needs to be a good OSS alternative so Nouveau should be stepping up to the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
          xorg-server 1.9 is supported with Catalyst 10.10+.

Using a 4850 with the FOSS driver for a long time, I switched to the binary blob as I'm learning a bit of OpenGL 3+.
          (Actually, I blindly bought the 5th Ed. of the "OpenGL Super Bible", which does not cover the fixed function part anymore. Stupid, I wasn't aware of that - so, my bad... )
          I still would prefer a FOSS driver but honestly: the blob is really doing an excellent job here which I didn't expected.
          Seems like lots of people are to be negatively biased towards the binary, in a way that it doesn't deserve (anymore).
          I don't use XVBA, so that's not an issue for me. Multi Screen with RandR 1.3 working flawless, 2D feels snappy with no artifacts and it's really stable.
          Good to hear that gap's closed. It fell below my radar a while ago.

Comment

Working...
          X