ATI HD6870 driver and GPU! can't get it to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
    It means fglrx is a lie and your card will not work properly for another 2 years at best, until Gallium 3D or so matures.

It's been like this situation for more than 5 years, not a single bit has changed. Fglrx is still a lie.
    No, no, wait for the *next* driver...

Comment

I really don't know very much about this problem, but the true fact is, it isn't very hard even for an ordinary Linux user to generate a basic "aticonfig" xorg.conf file (there are even some samples properly configured in pastebin)... and allow a HD69xx series to work properly on Linux. (since Catalyst 10.10 these cards are listed in the amdpcsdb file...).

Cheers

p.s. More interesting now is the fact you can turn a HD6950 card into a HD6970 one, if you're lucky!

Comment

Originally posted by evolution View Post
        I really don't know very much about this problem, but the true fact is, it isn't very hard even for an ordinary Linux user to generate a basic "aticonfig" xorg.conf file (there are even some samples properly configured in pastebin)... and allow a HD69xx series to work properly on Linux. (since Catalyst 10.10 these cards are listed in the amdpcsdb file...).

Cheers

p.s. More interesting now is the fact you can turn a HD6950 card into a HD6970 one, if you're lucky!
        I thought you didn't need xorg.conf files anymore. But, you still need to create your own because ATI/AMD won't support their own cards in Linux?!?

FunkyRider is right, ATI/AMD will take two years to support the card with the blob driver and probably four years (double the time) to support the FOSS side. Yay, AMD/ATI with their great Linux support!

Comment

Originally posted by Panix
          [stuff]

Comment

The last to laugh...

Originally posted by Panix View Post
            I thought you didn't need xorg.conf files anymore. But, you still need to create your own because ATI/AMD won't support their own cards in Linux?!?

FunkyRider is right, ATI/AMD will take two years to support the card with the blob driver and probably four years (double the time) to support the FOSS side. Yay, AMD/ATI with their great Linux support!
            Yes, but doesn't nVidia proprietary driver also needs one (xorg.conf file, OC)?
            Yes, maybe 3D support needs some more extra time, but I don't expect it to work only 2 years later... (maybe on nouveau that's more a reality )

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by evolution View Post
              Yes, but doesn't nVidia proprietary driver also needs one (xorg.conf file, OC)?
              Nope it doesn't. It hasn't for quite a while now, at least a year.

Comment

trolls indeed. wow huh.

My xorg.conf is empty and other than setting resolution, there's nothing in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-screen.conf or 50-device.conf that's very relevant (resolution/depth settings mostly). I use opensuse 11.3 x86_64 and the tumbleweed repo... kde 4.5.90 something from kde factory as well.

fglrx, as much as you may hate it works pretty well on 68xx and 69xx. Aside from flicker with compositing and mplayer w/ vo=gl. They could also improve 2d performance still but its working pretty well.

Also, I flashed my 6950 to a 6970 using freedos and atiflash... works perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  Hey I know that guy.

Comment

BlackStar probably shouldn't be posting his picture in the Forum. It's not an appropriate place.

Comment

Trolls trolling trolls.... And the sad fact, I actually like this place like this.

Comment

Working...
                      X