Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way I see it, bub, everyone is a troll.

Comment

Was anybody succesfull in running 10.12 with hd 69xx?
      I'm interested in buying 6950 but I dont want to be forced to use vesa.

Comment

Most likely it will run but you will get the well known unsupported hardware watermark. I can hack that of couse, maybe i add that feature directly in my script...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Most likely it will run but you will get the well known unsupported hardware watermark. I can hack that of couse, maybe i add that feature directly in my script...
          Might as well since ATI/AMD will have it every time.

Maybe AMD can just add it to the boxes (unsupported in Linux) so no one has to hack anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Redook View Post
            Was anybody succesfull in running 10.12 with hd 69xx?
            I'm interested in buying 6950 but I dont want to be forced to use vesa.
            Yes it works. I just installed a Sapphire 6950 on opensuse 11.3 with 2.6.37-rc8 kernel. Im using the 10.2 driver (patched). There is the watermark though and working on getting rid of that now.

I am also using three monitor (easy as pie to setup)

Gonna "upgrade" the 6950 to a 6970 later today

Comment

Basically that "control" file check is really stupid, as all supported cards can be found with the correct pci id in the kernel driver. There is a second check, which is especially annoying for FirePro users. Even when the control file does not contain the ids for the cards aticonfig still works for the desktop series - so that tool has its own whitelist. aticonfig does not work with certain (new) FirePro cards and just writes unsupported, when you manually create the file it works (or when you create it with an other card). When you think about that FirePro is the most expensive card series that ATI/AMD sells and has the worst support in current drivers then something is not normal. The "signature" check used to mark beta drivers from release drivers is a piece of cake to get rid of as every old signature can be reused. As the content of the control file is not decoded you have to patch the binary to disable the code that displays the watermark (ATI called it Logo, so not that hard to find). That can be done in a generic way since long time with a code i showed here:

Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by pwyll View Post
                Yes it works. I just installed a Sapphire 6950 on opensuse 11.3 with 2.6.37-rc8 kernel. Im using the 10.2 driver (patched). There is the watermark though and working on getting rid of that now.

I am also using three monitor (easy as pie to setup)

Gonna "upgrade" the 6950 to a 6970 later today
                Hi! where can I read about how to patch the driver so that it supports HD 69xx? Also any success in removing watermark? I just bought PowerColor HD 6950 and obviously installed 10.11 didn't work.

Comment

Is it possible that you need glasses? Maybe read my post more carefully...

Comment

sorry, I didn't read it until very end, I will try it, thanks.

Comment

still, your post describes how to remove the watermark, but it doesn't about how to patch the driver to work at all..?

Comment

Working...
                      X