Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    @ethana2

You do realize debs aren't alike, for all that polish they would have to specifically target Ubuntu, possibly even the exact same version?
    Given Ubuntu's share of linux desktop market of around 75%, I think that's perfectly reasonable. I know phoronix has a lot more people using other platforms like Arch, so I don't expect you to agree with me.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      @ethana2

You do realize debs aren't alike, for all that polish they would have to specifically target Ubuntu, possibly even the exact same version?
      you're right, unless they have all dependencies included.

if they use the software center, the commercial framework is linked to ubuntu one account, so i think is similar to steam. It might solve most of the problems once it gets polished.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
        I'm an alpha addict, I reinstall my OS very frequently. I expect to be able to configure everything the way I like it with one "sudo apt-get install bla bla bla bla bla bla" and maybe a dpkg command on a directory.

Besides that, if someone can't make a .deb, I don't trust whatever script they do write. Invariably they don't handle dependencies, they don't handle menu entries correctly, all kinds of unpolished crap like that which I won't put up with.
        Sometimes software is bundled in an all-dependencies-included tar.gz. You just unpack and execute the script inside to run it. It's not such a bad option really.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
          Given Ubuntu's share of linux desktop market of around 75%, I think that's perfectly reasonable. I know phoronix has a lot more people using other platforms like Arch, so I don't expect you to agree with me.
          Okay, really? Ubuntu does not and should not get treated as more special than any other distro. Anyone who produces "Ubuntu software, not Linux software" is doing it wrong!

I agree that the best way to distribute software is to get the package managers to do it for you, but if the developer is willing to do the work himself (and I can tell you the Icculus installers on Bundle games work just fine, including menu items) then I don't see why there should be too many complaints.

And if you need to reinstall your OS that often, you're probably doing something wrong.

Comment

In response to the actual topic, I'm really looking forward to the lineup they come up with. Maybe Undergrowth will be in there...

Comment

iirc I had no problems installing my stuff on Gentoo. Some stuff was fetch restricted so I just put the downloaded data package in my distfiles and emerged.
              Anyway I just put myself on the list for the next one. Would be a nice xmas gift.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

IMHO there's not much sense doing Ubuntu debs without an additional distribution channel.

Or, if they get into Ubuntu Software Center by that, they absolutely should do so. The users gained via that would greatly offset the work, while the number of users lost on not doing an U deb in the current distrib model is not big.

Just have a tarball for the rest of us

Comment

I hope Machinarium will be in the bundle. I'd like to buy it but $20 is a bit too much for me.

Comment

Originally posted by misiu_mp View Post
                    Sometimes software is bundled in an all-dependencies-included tar.gz. You just unpack and execute the script inside to run it. It's not such a bad option really.
                    I don't know, I'm rather partial to the loki installers. You know, the ones with those idiotic dependencies to ancient versions of glibc and GTK that no sensible distribution can run anymore? And the shell scripts that assume you are running bash and not Dash, ash, or tcsh.

Those are awesome.

Comment

I would like to see a reliable source for that 75% Ubuntu claim.

Comment

Working...
                      X