Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Software Compilation 4.6 Beta 2

Phoronix: KDE Software Compilation 4.6 Beta 2

Two weeks after the Thanksgiving Day release of KDE SC 4.6 Beta 1, the second beta is now here for this desktop environment update to be officially released next month. KDE SC 4.6 Beta 2 has fixed nearly 1,200 bugs while more than 1,300 bugs were reported in the past two weeks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Release Cycle

As much as I like KDE, their release cycle is completly broken.

They have 2 weeks between Beta 1 and Beta 2, then RC arrives and another new buggy major release is born.

I participated at the beta cycles of 4.3/4.4/4.5 and I won't do it anymore. Time is way too short, if you report something (even crashers) between Beta1 and Beta2 its almost always already too late.

- Clemens

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
      As much as I like KDE, their release cycle is completly broken.

They have 2 weeks between Beta 1 and Beta 2, then RC arrives and another new buggy major release is born.

I participated at the beta cycles of 4.3/4.4/4.5 and I won't do it anymore. Time is way too short, if you report something (even crashers) between Beta1 and Beta2 its almost always already too late.

- Clemens
      It may be too late for 4.x.0 release but distributions usually ship at least 4.x.2 or 4.x.3 releases and there is enough time from now to 4.5.3.

Comment

hmm

Quire right, 4.x.3 or 4.x.4 tend to be stable enough to be shipped - but after all does that justify declaring buggy software as stable. Reminds me a lot at KDE 4.0.
        Just read an email from a former KDE developer now working on Mozilla. Complains more or less about the same items as I do.

I like KDE but I am bored to see essential things broken from major to major release.
        I'll give gnome another shot after the gnome-3.0 storm has settled.

- Clemens

Comment

I had absolutely no problems with SC 4.5.0. In fact I use it since RC stage.

KDE chose the release cycle just fine. When KDE adopted the cycle, Fedora, (K)Ubuntu, and Mandriva already had their 6 months cycle which releases every spring and fall.
          By choosing winter and summer for their SC releases, KDE ensured that those distributions can ship a buxfix release of the SC.

One major aspects some people tend to forget over and over again is that KDE makes absolutely no releases for end users. KDE releases to distributors who in turn release to end users.

Comment

I actually find that bug-fixes are exciting. When they finally fix something that's been bugging me for some time I'm happy So, as far as I'm concerned the KDE devs can do all the bug fixing they want (specially in Kmail).

Comment

I don't realy understand the problems with less bug fixing in n.n releases, because with the n.n._1,2,3,4 releases you can choose how much bug fixing you'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                Quire right, 4.x.3 or 4.x.4 tend to be stable enough to be shipped - but after all does that justify declaring buggy software as stable. Reminds me a lot at KDE 4.0.
                Just read an email from a former KDE developer now working on Mozilla. Complains more or less about the same items as I do.

I like KDE but I am bored to see essential things broken from major to major release.
                I'll give gnome another shot after the gnome-3.0 storm has settled.

- Clemens
                What essential things are broken for you?... Just curious I have Natty Narwal on two machines testing and so far the experience has been pretty smooth. so far...

Comment

Working...
                X