kwin discontinued ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kwin discontinued ?

have they pulled the plug on kwin ? i mean, are developers not actively working on it anymore?

i'm saying this because things have degraded so badly in the course of the last few months, it's the only logical conclusion one would draw. i'm not sure which part of my system updates kwin doesn't seem to like, but all i know is kwin seems to be the only piece of software that's suffering from it. and it's not like it's been a few days, or a few weeks - it's been broken for months ... doesn't anyone take notice ?

tonight i decided to give kwin a try = for the hell of things - and i was appaled. can someone day ten frames per second ? the benchmarking window shows about 60 fps when "idle", but as soon as i move anything, it drops to about 20; if it's a window with transparency (such as koonsole), it gets to 10, if not even a bit below that.

kwin's always been choppy from the beginning. for a while it got pretty good, and then all of a sudden, it died again. all along compiz has remained snappy and responsive. what really bugs me is that whenever i get a hold of a kde/kwin developer i'm always fed the same answer: it's your video driver. it's xorg. it's mesa. ITS NEVER KWIN'S FAULT. ... how could that be, when everything else on my system is virtually unaffected ??

anyway, i'm posting this not just as a rant, but as a cry for help. i used to kinda like kwin; for the brief window of time when it actually worked, anyway. i have no idea what might be the problem, and like i said, i'm getting no help whatsoever from the kde guys. maybe some here feels my pain ? maybe someone has a clue as to what might be wrong ? i'll also be posting on my distro's forum about this, because i'm just fed up.

fyi, this is what i'm running: kde sc 4.5.4; xorg-server 1.9.2, mesa 7.9 and the open source "r300g" ati driver 6.13.2..

Have you tried removing kwinrc?

Here, everything has been working great ever since the update-crash was fixed in Mesa (r600c).

With r600g, everything works fine for a while, but gets extremely slow after a while, so I don't use it for work.

Comment

Be patient: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODgwNQ

Comment

Well, i am using the same versions as you (and kernel 2.6.36 + a patch to prevent the ocasional freeze with KMS) and i haven't saw those problems EXCEPT when i upgraded kwin to 4.5.3 (if your problem was before that then idk). If your problem is only with kwin 4.5.3-4.5.4 then you can try to reverse the commit(s) indicated here and see if it helps to fix your problem.

Comment

BTW than benchmarking thing that comes with kwin isnt meant to test the performance of plasma (i read it from a kde developer in their forums).

1 minute edit FTL

Comment

The kwin lanczos filter uses more constants than the r3xx/r4xx hardware is capable of:

Tom suggested some alternatives to use fewer constants, but I don't know if kwin has picked them up or not.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              Have you tried removing kwinrc?

Here, everything has been working great ever since the update-crash was fixed in Mesa (r600c).

With r600g, everything works fine for a while, but gets extremely slow after a while, so I don't use it for work.
              i just tried that (kwinrc), and launched kwin with the --replace flag.

a song i was playing became choppy; when i tried to go back to konsole to revert things back to compiz it took about 5 seconds for the window to switch. the music stopped playing, the konsole window appeared; i tried to type in the command to relaunch compiz and the keyboard input wouldn't register. eventually the key strokes appeared one letter at a time after which i was able to finally press ENTER, and liberate my laptop from the evil grip of kwin compositing.

i mean, seriously, something aint right ..

Comment

well, a little update: it seems that everywhere i turn to ask, they tell it's ATI's fault.

so i'll have to ask again: ati, why did you break kwin ?

Comment

See my previous comment.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    See my previous comment.
                    but, my hardware is neither r3xx or r4xx ?

by the by, i just ran kwin for about 15 minutes and my cpu temp shot up to 90C ...

Comment

Working...
                    X