Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RandR 1.4 Brings Per-CRTC Pixmaps; NVIDIA Support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RandR 1.4 Brings Per-CRTC Pixmaps; NVIDIA Support?

Phoronix: RandR 1.4 Brings Per-CRTC Pixmaps; NVIDIA Support?

While version 1.4 of the Resize and Rotate (RandR) extension was supposed to be introduced with X.Org Server 1.9 (to the point that it delayed closing their merge window), it never made it. RandR 1.4 and its per-CRTC pixmaps once again delayed closing the merge window, but this time it's for X.Org Server 1.10 and its promised to only be a few days. Fortunately, it looks like Keith Packard was right this time and RandR 1.4 is about to land...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is slightly off-topic but I remember reading about per-display power management where you could turn individual displays on and off independently. Whatever happened to that? Last time I tried, it still didn't work.

Comment

So, it's been known for years, and only now done something about?

Comment

Hopefully now we will see RandR 1.2/1.3/1.4 support finally coming to NVIDIA's proprietary Linux driver in the near future.
        Michael, if the feature that they have been holding out for is being released in RandR 1.4, what makes you think that they will add support for older flavors of this extension that do not have this feature?

Comment

Originally posted by sandain View Post
          Michael, if the feature that they have been holding out for is being released in RandR 1.4, what makes you think that they will add support for older flavors of this extension that do not have this feature?
          You'd need to be running xorg-server 1.10 but what I am talking about are the features introduced first in RandR 1.2/1.3, which are also found in 1.4.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Considering the following part:

This feature really becomes useful when dealing with display setups where the screen layout exceeds the maximum size of the rendering/scan-out engines, provides the abilities for integrating compositing and project transformation into one step, and eliminating visual artifacts during screen rotation
            Does that mean, by any chance, that a dual-screen setup exceeding the maximum virtual size allowed by Compiz could now work under this compositing manager? Let's say with the open-source radeon gallium3D driver, for instance, which would especially be of interest for me?

Comment

Well, this issue was settled by updating Compiz from 0.8.6 to 0.9.2 with the ppa repository on Maverick. The only problem left is that it displays a blank background instead of the selected image on gnome-appearance-properties. Otherwise, I can benefit from Compiz (I mainly use the Cube, expos? and wobbly windows) on my 2-screen display, which is good news.

Comment

And what about multi-gpu object support? Would xrandr-1.4 have this feature implemented?

Comment

Working...
                X