Me and my HD5770

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me and my HD5770

Since this is of course part of the Linux community... I see you guys keep tradition with lots of other sites accross the internet and that's just completely failing at being pure and strait to the point.

I've looked and looked and looked but I've never seen someone just go right out and say that there's 3D open source acceleration out now for the Evergreen series.

I saw your article about Gallium3D potentially supporting it but I have yet to see anyone just say, "Yes, go install it!"

I need a reason to be happy at the moment and being able to kick Catalyst's glitchy ass off of my Archlinux build would really make my year.

Just realized I put this in the wrong section and I'm unable to edit or remove the post and repost it to the proper one without an administrator...

Sorry about that, still hopeful for an answer anyway.

Comment

Yes, Evergreen has 3d.

Comment

Be aware that the transition from "MOSTLY" to "DONE" is not particularly well defined, since it's the difference between "known bugs" and "relatively few bugs". One day we might be able to come up with more "workable" definitions but for now the idea is to use the same criteria as other drivers.

My recollection is that as long as you are running latest code in all components the Evergreen support is roughly the same as r6xx/r7xx. There were a few more reports of crashes with Evergreen than with the earlier chips but in general I believe all three generations work at pretty much the same level.
        Test signature

Comment

Right! Well... as you blokes might have guessed, I've never actually had to install an open source driver from thin air before. I'm not sure if anyone has added this into the AUR for Arch or if there's a certain download page somewhere that I could try out.

I just really need to know the name of the driver module to toss into Xorg.conf and my /etc/rc.conf

Comment

No, you need to know a lot more than that

Older versions of the required driver files are probably already on your system - the first step is to make sure the right packages are installed in order to get sufficiently recent versions of the driver files. You will probably also need to edit/set one system variable in order to pick up the r600g driver rather than the default r600 "classic" driver.

Most of this is distro-specific, so you'll probably have the best luck getting specific instructions on an Arch forum.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              No, you need to know a lot more than that

Older versions of the required driver files are probably already on your system - the first step is to make sure the right packages are installed in order to get sufficiently recent versions of the driver files. You will probably also need to edit/set one system variable in order to pick up the r600g driver rather than the default r600 "classic" driver.

Most of this is distro-specific, so you'll probably have the best luck getting specific instructions on an Arch forum.
              but they're assholes.
              (this is generally considered a common belief)

Oh alright, I'll ask them. Thanks, guys for helping me out as much as you have, this is one of the more important and needed sites in the linux community and I wish you all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by gossamer View Post
                Since this is of course part of the Linux community... I see you guys keep tradition with lots of other sites accross the internet and that's just completely failing at being pure and strait to the point.
                but they're assholes.
                It sounds like you'd fit right in. Maybe you'd get more helpful answers if you didn't preface your questions with d***ish insults towards the community of people you're asking for help.

At any rate, if you're running Arch, you already have a recent enough kernel (2.6.36) and Mesa (7.9). All you need to do to get 3D and video (Xv) acceleration working is to install xf86-video-ati-git from AUR.

Comment

If you don't like, adapt yourself or change!

but they're assholes.

Oh alright, I'll ask them. Thanks, guys for helping me out as much as you have, this is one of the more important and needed sites in the linux community and I wish you all the best.
                  Yes, trolling and insulting a community in a public forum is really a great favor, no doubt about it (irony)...

For you, I've just only two things to tell you: adapt to the distro you're using or try to change to another one, (if you're not happy using it)...

Btw, Arch's wiki and forums have almost all the answers you need. But, OC, sometimes you also need to know a bit about editing PKGBUILDs and system files if you want to try Evergreen with OS drivers (that's the Arch way of doing (some) things)...

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by evolution View Post
                    Yes, trolling and insulting a community in a public forum is really a great favor, no doubt about it (irony)...

For you, I've just only two things to tell you: adapt to the distro you're using or try to change to another one, (if you're not happy using it)...

Btw, Arch's wiki and forums have almost all the answers you need. But, OC, sometimes you also need to know a bit about editing PKGBUILDs and system files if you want to try Evergreen with OS drivers (that's the Arch way of doing (some) things)...

Cheers!
                    Originally posted by trapxvi View Post
                    It sounds like you'd fit right in. Maybe you'd get more helpful answers if you didn't preface your questions with d***ish insults towards the community of people you're asking for help.

At any rate, if you're running Arch, you already have a recent enough kernel (2.6.36) and Mesa (7.9). All you need to do to get 3D and video (Xv) acceleration working is to install xf86-video-ati-git from AUR.

Comment

Working...
                    X