Suggstion on monitor module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggstion on monitor module

Graphing of cpu usage would be more useful if it graphed each cores usage. Right now as it is buy tracking the overall percentage of all cores combined it leads to easily misinterpreted results. If a person was for example trying to find out where their bottleneck is on a system they might think that when running a 6 core that their framerates are being limited by the GPU because there is only "16%" of their cpu is being used when this would be more an indicator of a CPU bottleneck because an app is single threaded. By graphing each core a person would also be able to tell how efficient an multithreaded app is at utilizing the full capabilities of all the cores on the CPU. You would then be able to easily see that some apps although multi-threaded may have limitations as to how many threads it can actually use.

Hey Deanjo,

Yeah I plan to provide that option in the system_monitor module. Right now Phodevi provides support for monitoring CPU usage on a per-core basis along with the overall CPU usage. The limitation right now though is that I don't have a way to dynamically expose/add extra sensors (in other words to dynamically create "cpu-1.usage", "cpu-2.usage", etc based upon the CPU as traditionally the sensors have been static. However, soon as I find the time, I can add that support on the sensor interface side so then it can be tapping the per-core usage.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

K good to know Michael. I've ran into a few benchmarks where it appears at first glance that I hit a GPU bottleneck if you look at the graphs only to see that it was a case of actually running into a core clockspeed bottleneck.

Comment

Working...
      X