Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity Desktop Possibly Coming To Fedora

Phoronix: Unity Desktop Possibly Coming To Fedora

Adam Williamson has shared that he's looking at packaging Canonical's Unity desktop for Fedora. "Why? Well, a few reasons. Mainly, Unity???s an interesting project. I want to look at it and compare it to GNOME Shell and I think quite a few others do too, so it seems nice to package it so you can run both on Fedora. I don???t really want to maintain an Ubuntu install just to test Unity (can???t do it in a KVM VM as it requires compositing support). Also, though, I think it???ll do a bit to help keep everyone honest: if other projects show interest in providing Unity as an option for people to use, it increases the motivation for Unity's developers to make sure it can be easily built without non-upstreamed changes. Hopefully it also increases the motivation for upstream projects to work with the Unity developers to get their changes merged. It's the same for any project, really ??? if you have a wide base of users of a project across many distributions, it gives everyone involved a reason to work to make sure it's easy to maintain the project across distributions."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why not? All open source software should be packaged, IMO.

Comment

Someone should really switch the forums to UTF-8, those charset problems are very embarrassing for a tech site.

Comment

Does anyone know if it's possible to port gnome-panel applets to Unity's panel?

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
          Does anyone know if it's possible to port gnome-panel applets to Unity's panel?
          Not possible. GNOME's panel is written in C, Unity is written in Vala, and GNOME Shell is written mostly in JavaScript. Applets of one GUI cannot (currently at least) be used in any of the other two without rewriting the applets from scratch.
          Maybe in the future at least Unity and GNOME Shell will have some common plug-in interface.

Comment

Hmm, are you sure? I've found this wiki which seems to indicate the possibility of running C programs.

Comment

My bad, that's for gnome-panel. Although I've heard Unity can use AppIndicators.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                Someone should really switch the forums to UTF-8, those charset problems are very embarrassing for a tech site.
                It can't be any more embarrassing than a Linux site using Flash to stream video..

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  It can't be any more embarrassing than a Linux site using Flash to stream video..
                  DRMed Silverlight video would be....

Comment

would be kind of funny seeing fedora with unity.

i wonder if the ubuntu guys really want their new interface appearing everywhere...

i dont think i would like fedora having it by default..

well am sure fedora can offer help, just like with wayland, btrfs, etc. they love playing with everything new.

Comment

Working...
                    X