Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Tries To Put Fence Sync Into X Server 1.10

Phoronix: NVIDIA Tries To Put Fence Sync Into X Server 1.10

X.Org Server 1.10 was just looking to be a big bug-fix release to the X.Org Server with no major features being introduced, up until the merge window was about to be closed. Then last night it was proposed by Keith Packard, the xorg-server 1.10 release manager, to keep it open a few extra days so that he could finally merge the per-CRTC pixmap support. This work alone is nice and is long awaited, but now NVIDIA's James Jones is calling for pulling another feature that's had code available for months: X Synchronization Fences...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this sounds exciting.

are they working so hard because of wayland? ^^

Comment

These patches have been out for review since well before all this recent Wayland hubbub.

Comment

I know nvidia's really not too friendly to OSS on the surface and all, but I hope this code makes it in if it follows procedure/standards and useful for nouveau (and others), and doesn't get held back because of politics.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
          this sounds exciting.

are they working so hard because of wayland? ^^
          My first thought also
          It's probably business as usual though.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            I know nvidia's really not too friendly to OSS on the surface and all, but I hope this code makes it in if it follows procedure/standards and useful for nouveau (and others), and doesn't get held back because of politics.
            I think it is the other way around. The OSS community isn't friendly to nvidia. They invent api calls designed to be unusable for nvidia, because of their binary driver. I wouldn't wonder if the patch will be hacked somehow to only work with KMS and stuff and gets rejected til then.

Comment

Originally posted by falloutboy View Post
              I think it is the other way around. The OSS community isn't friendly to nvidia. They invent api calls designed to be unusable for nvidia, because of their binary driver. I wouldn't wonder if the patch will be hacked somehow to only work with KMS and stuff and gets rejected til then.
              Are you for real or are you simply trolling?
              "inventing api calls designed to be unstable for nvidia"?

Have you considered the fact that as an OSS project, Xorg might simply be putting the development <b>open source</b> drivers as their main concern, making a stable API (that might stifle the development of close source drivers) less desirable?
              Oh wait, I assume that you also blame Microsoft for changing the WDM API between releases, right?

*Sigh*

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

s/might stifle the development of close source drivers/might stifle the development of open source drivers/g
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by falloutboy View Post
                  The OSS community isn't friendly to nvidia.
                  Ya that's generally how it is.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                    Are you for real or are you simply trolling?
                    "inventing api calls designed to be unstable for nvidia"?
                    I didn't say unstable, I said unUSable and was not trolling. If api calls are designed to exclude closed source driver, then you know who isn't friendly to whom...

Comment

Working...
                    X