The Desktop Faces Of Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnH View Post
    The screen-shots don't impress me. I have my top panel repositioned to the left side and my bottom panel repositioned to the left side, which gives me screen top-to-bottom for use. I do this with all my wide screen monitors, netbook, and laptop. I don't see why there is both a top panel and a bunch of LARGE icons on the right side which takes up more screen space than my 40 pixel wide panel. I have it all in my panel. Maybe Unity operates quicker, but I haven't seen it in action, just the screen-shots in the Phoronix article above.

Where are the "Application", "Places", and "System" menus? I like having them around.

What is Ubuntu trying to accomplish with this setup?
    there are a couple of reviews and videos now on some of the blogs.

switching back to classic gnome will be as easy as turning off the plugin or choosing classic desktop on the login screen.

the reason they have this setup is because they want to merge their 3 main projects interfaces: ubuntu light and netbook edition + desktop edition in one.

anyway it already auto hides and has some nice effects, so its a plus.

It was either this or gnome shell. This might turn a good move, so i wont judge till final release.

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
      The "Applications" "Places" and "System" menus are fast and organised my stuff nicely. I loved it when I switched from the dark side.

Now I will be forced [1] to get back to that slow "Start" menu-like [2] interface? Great.

[1] Running gnome2 for the rest of my life is not really an option.
      [2] Mint has something like that, KDE is the same, Gnome-Shell and Unity again will be using a global button for these.
      You will be able to not use Gnome Shell in Gnome 3 and use the old panel - it is still being updated and maintained for those that don't have hardware accelerated graphics drivers.

You could also use Gnome Shell with some other kind of launcher - I used to use it with Docky for instance (but the new layout is more like a dock now so it's not so much needed)

Comment

The unity doc can also be disabled from Compizconfig.

The Apps button needs a static search field that searches as you type.

I think the size of the doc should be adjustable, as well as if apps can overlap it.

Firefox 4 is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by synapse View Post
          The unity doc can also be disabled from Compizconfig.

The Apps button needs a static search field that searches as you type.

I think the size of the doc should be adjustable, as well as if apps can overlap it.

Firefox 4 is awesome.
          Further observations. Ubuntu software center doesn't load, but package manager does. I'm no longer able to disable the Unity doc, maybe the initial launch the classic desktop was loaded?? After the PC is turned off it takes 3-4 attempts for it to make it to the logon prompt. Otherwise it is fairly stable, just use standby and don't power down! It also installed 70+ updates since lastnight.

Comment

Can?t say I?m that impressed either. Looks nice, but no thanks. I haven?t bothered with Ubuntu proper in a while anyway. It?s all Sidux (or whatever they want to call themselves nowadays), Arch, and Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
              Can?t say I?m that impressed either. Looks nice, but no thanks. I haven?t bothered with Ubuntu proper in a while anyway. It?s all Sidux (or whatever they want to call themselves nowadays), Arch, and Kubuntu.
              My install started out as kubuntu 10 and I upgraded to 11.04, the KDE desktop loads and is quite stable, much more than Unity, also has FF4.

Comment

I hope they move to the development branch of xfce4 soon.

Comment

I hate it! Why would I use this on my 24" inch screen??

Comment

After testing Unity I liked it very much, it was buggy, but the vertical panel a good idea, better than the classic horizontal panel.

In KDE, moving the default panel to the left and replacing the default Task Manager widget with Smooth Tasks has a similar effect as Unity panel. It is also possible to add and extra panel to the top, with widgets like ActiveWindow Control.
                    The part that I like most in Unity is the apps launcher/searcher (the Ubuntu icon a the top left). Haven't found something similar for KDE, Lancelot is nice, but it's not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by kimble85 View Post
                      I hate it! Why would I use this on my 24" inch screen??
                      Is that inch? ?

If you have more horizontal resolution and less vertical, then it is a better idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X