The Desktop Faces Of Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
    The "Applications" "Places" and "System" menus are fast and organised my stuff nicely. I loved it when I switched from the dark side.

Now I will be forced [1] to get back to that slow "Start" menu-like [2] interface? Great.

[1] Running gnome2 for the rest of my life is not really an option.
    [2] Mint has something like that, KDE is the same, Gnome-Shell and Unity again will be using a global button for these.

I would like to see your "System" menu. While I agree that the "Applications" and "Places" menus are very nice the "System" menu is anything bug. Possibly I have way to many things installed and I'm using a netbook but I would not describe it as user-friendly.

Comment

System menu

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
      The "Applications" "Places" and "System" menus are fast and organised my stuff nicely. I loved it when I switched from the dark side.

Now I will be forced [1] to get back to that slow "Start" menu-like [2] interface? Great.

[1] Running gnome2 for the rest of my life is not really an option.
      [2] Mint has something like that, KDE is the same, Gnome-Shell and Unity again will be using a global button for these.

I would like to see your "System" menu. While I agree that the "Applications" and "Places" menus are very nice the "System" menu is anything bug. Possibly I have way to many things installed and I'm using a netbook but I would not describe it as user-friendly.

Comment

So if I load unity from the classic desktop, compiz has an option to float and auto-hide the doc, autohide should be the default behavior. After using it a while they have quite a bit of work to do be as good as Cairo, but it is alpha software.

Comment

Originally posted by Again617 View Post
          You can edit what shows up on the menu with alacarte command (or right-click on the menu and 'Edit Menu.'

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            You can edit what shows up on the menu with alacarte command (or right-click on the menu and 'Edit Menu.'
            I am aware that I can edit what appears in the menu. I'm being critical over the lack of organization. Just as an example, there are four items related to my keyboard: "Input Method Switcher", "Keybaord", "Keybaord Input Methods" and "Keybaord Shortcuts".

Five years ago, I bought a Mac which lasted for two years before dying. Since then I've been using Linux on all the computers that I've had since then. The feature that I miss the most from Mac OS X is the very nicely organized System Preferences.

As a caveat, I would like to add that although I find the Gnome preferences organization settings to be lacking, they are nothing compared to the atrocity that is Windows control panel.

Comment

I ended up going back to kde/plasma desktop, its smooth. There has to be a better and faster way to browse launchers not on the doc. FF4 has renewed my interest for firefox. I wonder if the occasional lockup on boot is isolated to my upgrade install or is a bug.

Comment

After 100 more updates Natty Narwhal seems to boot normally.

Comment

Originally posted by synapse View Post
                  I ended up going back to kde/plasma desktop, its smooth. There has to be a better and faster way to browse launchers not on the doc. FF4 has renewed my interest for firefox. I wonder if the occasional lockup on boot is isolated to my upgrade install or is a bug.
                  i get occasional lock ups on boot, but usually because i dont let my laptop get warm enough. yea kinda like a car

Comment

Working...
                  X