Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Adobe's Flash Video Acceleration On Linux Uses VDPAU

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,371

    Default Adobe's Flash Video Acceleration On Linux Uses VDPAU

    Phoronix: Adobe's Flash Video Acceleration On Linux Uses VDPAU

    This morning there was the report on the release of Adobe Flash Player 10.2 Beta 1, which finally brought GPU-based Flash video acceleration to Linux. H.264 video acceleration has already been available on Windows and Mac OS X operating systems, but this is the first time that Adobe is bringing this support to the official Linux Flash player. With the 10.2 release to all operating systems they are providing this support via an API they call "Stage Video" for the complete acceleration of the entire playback process...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODg1NQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Maybe this will be finally the push that gets vdpau adopted in other drivers.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    Can someone explain the "next-to-broken state thanks to bugs in the X-Video Bitstream Acceleration driver" to me?

    I have used catalyst for some time with my HD 4670. It worked very good for most videos. There were some (x264 encoded, level 5 @ high I think) that had huge block artifacts but the vast majority of the videos just played flawless.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Can someone explain the "next-to-broken state thanks to bugs in the X-Video Bitstream Acceleration driver" to me?

    I have used catalyst for some time with my HD 4670. It worked very good for most videos. There were some (x264 encoded, level 5 @ high I think) that had huge block artifacts but the vast majority of the videos just played flawless.
    Here is a nice 105 page write up on the various issues.

    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...ewpost&t=19983

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    I have read like 70 posts and there were only people complaining that their older cards are not supported or discussing when video acceleration will come to the open source driver. One person had a problem that was solved quickly. Post 60 finally named some issues.
    I'm not currently running catalyst but I think deinterlacing worked...
    h264 l5.1 doesn't play. I said that, but few, very few videos I have encountered use it (actually 2).
    I have only managed to crash X with a broken video once in a long time... Certainly this is not the reason for saying it is "half broken".
    I have never encountered wrong colors on h264, only said problems with above videos. Does someone have a screenshot or something?

    Is there more to come? Do I have to read all posts of which only a a small minority is about the problems?

    I also don't understand why people like to have to have so many pages all the time. With my forum settings it are only 12 pages.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    I also don't understand why people like to have to have so many pages all the time. With my forum settings it are only 12 pages.
    Ever try to load a page with 100 posts on one page on a cell phone?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    437

    Default

    xvba is crap, just like all other AMD proprietary stuff. get over it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    353

    Default

    I wonder when does Flash get support for webm, I thought they'd do that asap.
    And yes, I also hope that now AMD driver devs might consider supporting vdpau.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    I have read like 70 posts and there were only people complaining that their older cards are not supported or discussing when video acceleration will come to the open source driver. One person had a problem that was solved quickly.
    I am sorry but I have never seen any XvBA bug fixed quickly. I remind there was a stupid and crashing bug that prevented *any* XvBA based application (or library) to function properly without appropriate workaround. The fix was as trivial as a 10 characters (yes, ten!) change in the Makefile or whatever is used in the build system. However, this was only done 8 months later, yes, months...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Maybe this will be finally the push that gets vdpau adopted in other drivers.
    Or other vendors getting their stuff together. I'd much rather the latter actually. Not too keen on the one-size-fits-all approach.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •