Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryzom Game Gets A Native Linux Client

Phoronix: Ryzom Game Gets A Native Linux Client

Back in May we reported that Ryzom was released as free software, with Ryzom being a massively multi-player online science-fantasy role playing game developed by a French game studio. Six months after putting the code out there, Winch Gate Properties Ltd is announcing the official release of their native Linux client for the Ryzom game...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like somebody found out a free software bussiness model.

Comment

Ryzom is the first commercial MMORPG to be completely under free software (client, server, tools source code, 3d, textures assets...).
      So it seems everyone can run his own server if he wants. Will be very interesting how this turns out. I hope that does not kill the business model of this company.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
        So it seems everyone can run his own server if he wants. Will be very interesting how this turns out. I hope that does not kill the business model of this company.
        Don't underestimate how difficult and how much work there is in creating a virtual world, in a quality that is good and quests that are interesting. The business model is sound as long as there are people willing to pay for a controled quality experience.

Where the liberation of all Ryzom code is great, is that those interested can learn how a mmorpg server works, and I guess much like Neverwinter Nights, lots of communities can meet and play on smaller scale worlds.

Comment

Working...
        X