No announcement yet.

The State Of Unity In Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news, I like Unity, specially the launcher. It is much easier to find things.

That graph seems nice at first, but is hard to understand. Why didn't they do a normal orthogonal graph?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
      Posted by BlackStar: "It will work even without OpenGL. Compiz 0.9.x FTW!"

Sorry I don't understand that
      I think it is about the composition part is now a plugins in Compiz, so you can run the windows manager without composition.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
        I think it is about the composition part is now a plugins in Compiz, so you can run the windows manager without composition.
        But ofcourse without effects, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
          But ofcourse without effects, right?
          Without or with very simple effects, which is understandable. You can't have a cube without OpenGL (well, you could try the softpipe driver but you wouldn't want to run your desktop like that).

What I like about Unity is that I always configure my desktop to look *exactly* like this (AWN + Compiz + Gnome Do). It's an extremely efficient configuration, especially in wide-screen monitors and I'm pleasantly surprised that the default desktop is moving to this. This is actually better than the default configuration you find on Windows, Mac OS X or KDE 4!

My only disagreement is the global menubar, which is multi-monitor unfriendly and a little annoying (you lose 24 vertical pixels and you cannot hit the X button blindly on maximized windows anymore). I'd prefer a drop-down menu embedded in the window decoration (think Opera, Firefox 4, Office 2007) *or* the same thing but embedded in the Unity launcher.

Still, Unity FTW! It's been around for just two release cycles and it's already better than Gnome Shell.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            Without or with very simple effects, which is understandable. You can't have a cube without OpenGL (well, you could try the softpipe driver but you wouldn't want to run your desktop like that).
            I see. So the benefit of using compiz without opengl is because compiz is the only window manager that Unity supports?

What I like about Unity is that I always configure my desktop to look *exactly* like this (AWN + Compiz + Gnome Do). It's an extremely efficient configuration, especially in wide-screen monitors and I'm pleasantly surprised that the default desktop is moving to this. This is actually better than the default configuration you find on Windows, Mac OS X or KDE 4!
            Same here except Gnome Do because of the mono requirements and though I find default KDE already superior to OSX and Windows, Unity's approach is what I find the most practical one.

Still, Unity FTW! It's been around for just two release cycles and it's already better than Gnome Shell.
            Have not used Gnome Shell at all, but for sure has the potential to become better than the default Gnome soon enough.

Comment

I think the first one to do the cube, 3desktop, did it fully in software?

Comment

Hm, scratch that, it did use OpenGL, just a fairly early version.

Comment

Working...
                X