VDPAU - Looking For A New Video Card That Supports It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VDPAU - Looking For A New Video Card That Supports It

Ever since I discovered that my video card (Geforce GTX 8800) was unsupported by VDPAU, I have been looking for a replacement that DOES support it well.

I started at NewEgg, their two highest rated cards (in my price range) are the GTX 460 and GTX 470.

Before buying, I thought I should check on the cards' performance with VDPAU.

By sheer irony, both cards are reported to have issues with with VDPAU and KDE's Window Compositing. (which I use)

(Both reports can be found by Googling those model numbers and "VDPAU")

So after encountering such unfortunate situation, I sought the wisdom of this board.

Can someone please recommend a Nvidia video card which...

- works well with VDPAU
    - costs under $400
    - has at least 1 GB of VRAM
    - is made by a reliable brand (such as EVGA)

Thank you in advance, for your time.

Well you will always find someone that is having some issue with some thing. Personal experience here is that I have zero issues with vdpau or kde 4 on GTX-460, GTX-480, GTX-580. As far as "is made by a reliable brand (such as EVGA)" goes, pretty much all of the nvidia cards follow the nvidia reference design but some brands that I have had great success with are Palit, evga and zotac. If your uses are just desktop and video playback then even a GTX-430 should do.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Well you will always find someone that is having some issue with some thing. Personal experience here is that I have zero issues with vdpau or kde 4 on GTX-460, GTX-480, GTX-580. As far as "is made by a reliable brand (such as EVGA)" goes, pretty much all of the nvidia cards follow the nvidia reference design but some brands that I have had great success with are Palit, evga and zotac. If your uses are just desktop and video playback then even a GTX-430 should do.
      Thank you for the detailed response, Deanjo.

I'm very glad to hear from someone who's tested a similar Nvidia GPU with KDE and VDPAU.

Going by your suggestion, I think I will get this card
      • GTX 460 Chipset
      • 1 GB VRAM
      • Under $300 in price

Comment

Currently Im using an EVGA, but the 450. So far, as long as you have driver 260, you can have VDPAU. But I use Xfce with its built in composite system, dont know about KDE (but I can confirm that smplayer windows becomes correctly transparent when it is not focused).

Comment

Originally posted by Ademos View Post
          Thank you for the detailed response, Deanjo.

I'm very glad to hear from someone who's tested a similar Nvidia GPU with KDE and VDPAU.

Going by your suggestion, I think I will get this card
          • GTX 460 Chipset
          • 1 GB VRAM
          • Under $300 in price
          OC if you have set your limit at under $400 and have not already got the GTX460 (apparently VDPAU works fine with 256.44 and 256.44) then you might be far better waiting a little while for the new Nvidia GTX 560 to Arrive in January .... i think the 20th.

Roydon Cerejo, Dec 23, 2010 1454 hrs IST
          Priced around $300, it will take on ATI's HD 6950

Comment

Thank you for the additional advice, rogerdv and popper.

I'm very pleased to have receive so much help!

Originally posted by popper View Post
            OC if you have set your limit at under $400 and have not already got the GTX460 (apparently VDPAU works fine with 256.44 and 256.44) then you might be far better waiting a little while for the new Nvidia GTX 560 to Arrive in January .... i think the 20th.

Roydon Cerejo, Dec 23, 2010 1454 hrs IST
            Priced around $300, it will take on ATI's HD 6950
            Though the GTX 560 will have newer hardware (and $300 is a nice price) I need the new GPU A.S.A.P
            (because my current GPU is starting to produce bugs with KWin's Desktop Effects)

As a result, I will get the GTX 460, since it is...
            - Available now
            - Confirmed to work with KDE and VDPAU
            - Very cheap, considering the VRAM included. ($206 from a seller on Amazon)

Thanks again everyone! Your help is appreciated!

Comment

I just got an eVGA overclocked GTX 570 It should be coming in tomorrow. If you want I can test VDPAU.

Comment

That would be helpful nukem, thanks.

The more computability information available, the better.

Comment

Working...
                X