Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Becoming Very Easy To Run Wayland

Phoronix: It's Becoming Very Easy To Run Wayland

When Wayland started out in 2008 it was very difficult to build and run this lightweight, next-generation display server. Wayland leverages the very latest Linux graphics technologies and at that time all of Wayland's dependencies had to be patched or built from branched sources and Wayland even had its own EGL implementation at the time (Eagle) rather than Mesa and overall it was just a high barrier to entry. Wayland at that time also worked with only the open-source Intel driver, while now it can work with most any KMS / GEM / Mesa driver. It was not until recently that it became possible to build Wayland from mainline components beginning to ship in new Linux distributions, thereby making it much easier to experiment with the open-source display server. Now it's to a point where you can just run a simple script and be up and running with a Wayland Display Server in just minutes.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How does Wayland relate to multiseat configurations? Is it yet possible to configure multiple seats and divide the input devices between the seats?

Comment

I'm curious how it works with newest ATI gallium3D drivers (on RV635). I'm gonna have to clonezilla my system (just in case, you never know..) and try this out. Can't wait any longer.

Comment

do I see tearing ? Isn't Wayland suppose to eliminate those?

Comment

Might be tearing on your system rather than on the Wayland system ?
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by ioannis View Post
            Tearing has nothing to do with Wayland. It's kernel driver's job. Wayland may only say "I don't want tearing", that's all it can do.

Comment

The demo looks very interesting...does Wayland actually improve display performance vs the standard Xorg server?

If Wayland takes off, wonder if nVidia and AMD/ATI will consider providing support for Wayland in their proprietary display drivers?

What about having to recode applications that make calls to the server, if Wayland's API will be different than Xorg

Comment

Wayland terminal still segfaults for me on resize. (r600g)

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                  The demo looks very interesting...does Wayland actually improve display performance vs the standard Xorg server?

If Wayland takes off, wonder if nVidia and AMD/ATI will consider providing support for Wayland in their proprietary display drivers?

What about having to recode applications that make calls to the server, if Wayland's API will be different than Xorg
                  Fortunately for maybe 98% of apps the transition should be pretty seamless, once toolkits get proper support for wayland. There may (and will) be problems with things like display and window managers, which directly interface with XLib. Also I think (but I'm not sure) some older games use XLib to change the resolution. Ah, and SDL would probably need to be ported too.

Comment

Originally posted by ioannis View Post
                    He's running Wayland from within X.. So maybe it's X tearing?

Comment

Working...
                    X