Canonical (Ubuntu) - the evil company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical (Ubuntu) - the evil company

Much of the controversy about Canonical especially the (non-existing) relationship with upstream was discussed broadly. But Canonicals view of OSS community is even worse than I supposed.

They have own original projects so-called opensource, where copyright assignment to Canonical is demanded. This fact itself is not so bad on its own, but the assignment conditions really are. In fact they violate the spirit of the community collaboration as usual. It is not any surprise almost nobody want to contribute to Canonicals/Ubuntu projects...

Canonical, Ltd. Finally On Record: Seeking Open Core

Ubuntu, Canonical Wallow in Muddy Waters with Contributors' Agreements

You know, right now Ubuntu rocks and pushes some stuff forward that everyone benefits from. If at some point Canonical/Ubuntu get evil enough so that you can't use their software without feeling ill anymore, there's always Fedora and the likes.

Comment

Next9 this was very well known with their "Launchpad" projects.
      Canonical is just a marketing company that uses Linux to make money (nothing more; unlike Novel, RH etc) with minimal effort. They only care about getting more free bug-testers with that Ubuntu thing.

Ubuntu is millionaire's "hobby OS", one of many his different sources of income. In times of Vista many have hoped Ubuntu to jump in and do revolution in OS segment, but it didnt happen. I think because M$ just invests way way more $$$ in development/bribe/whatever than Ubuntu.

Sometime ago it was usable, but since few years - ugh, look at Distrowatch, Mint is very very popular - I wonder why. Actually I know why, but nevermind.

Thanks for the links btw.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        You know, right now Ubuntu rocks and pushes some stuff forward that everyone benefits from. If at some point Canonical/Ubuntu get evil enough so that you can't use their software without feeling ill anymore, there's always Fedora and the likes.
        Really? They push forward maybe 1% of stuff of Fedora, where the thing are really developed and released first.

Whatever one could thing about Fedora or Opensuse, these distros rock, just because the work hard and interact strognly with community.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
          Next9 this was very well known with their "Launchpad" projects.
          Canonical is just a marketing company that uses Linux to make money (nothing more; unlike Novel, RH etc) with minimal effort. They only care about getting more free bug-testers with that Ubuntu thing.
          Ubuntu is millionaire's "hobby OS", one of many his different sources of income. an Ubuntu.

Sometime ago it was usable, but since few years - ugh, look at Distrowatch, Mint is very very popular - I wonder why. Actually I know why, but nevermind.

Thanks for the links btw.
          Mint is way better. Many distro hoppers often say 'Mint does a better job of Ubuntu than Ubuntu.'

"Ubuntu is millionaire's "hobby OS", one of many his different sources of income. an Ubuntu."
          Right. Shuttleworth is doing this and that and spending to go on spaceships. It's just 'another' project. That's why people should be trying Debian and pure Debian-based distros instead. I'm hoping Mint goes ahead with their Debian project and that it becomes more of a preferred project rather than just experimenting.

Fedora is often criticized but at least it's 'pure distro' based on RedHat and it's 'all Linux' with a lot of contribution to kernel and other Linux-based systems. Ubuntu often makes major changes without any question. Sudo? Why only few people question but mostly the 'fans' rave without considering this? I use Ubuntu but only because my expertise is not at the level of the Gentoo, Arch, Fedora and pure-Debian users. I just think that people need to take care of which path they go. Also, I am wary of OpenSUSE with Novell selling off patents and the MS-connection. There's too much corporate association there, imho.

I am looking at 5 distros to install on my desktop now and I am considering 1)Debian - given; 2)Mint; 3)Mepis; 4)Fedora and 5)Kanotix - I told Kano I'd install it!

I currently have 5 partitions and probably space for a VirtualBox setup.

Comment

There is no difference between Fedora and Opensuse in corporate influence. Both are fully driven by their communities.

Ubuntu is far more affected by its corporate parent.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
              Mint is way better. Many distro hoppers often say 'Mint does a better job of Ubuntu than Ubuntu.'
              Dude I sense you might want to kick me in the "waste disposal", but in Linux Mint 9 the second printer I have (hp b209) was just discovered, attached and as ready to go. I just plugged in a cable, got a message that I can use it and basta.

Due to harddrive failure I had to reinstall the system from scratch(they have double harddrives now, second for goal of periodical backups only) and had zero time to cfg the Debian manually again, just needed a running "consumer" system quickly for age 60 people and installed Mint 9 in several minutes. That was like a breeze. And the gfx config panel is awesome, I use Gentoo for long time, but I was heavily impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                Dude I sense you might want to kick me in the "waste disposal", but in Linux Mint 9 the second printer I have (hp b209) was just discovered, attached and as ready to go. I just plugged in a cable, got a message that I can use it and basta.

Due to harddrive failure I had to reinstall the system from scratch(they have double harddrives now, second for goal of periodical backups only) and had zero time to cfg the Debian manually again, just needed a running "consumer" system quickly for age 60 people and installed Mint 9 in several minutes. That was like a breeze. And the gfx config panel is awesome, I use Gentoo for long time, but I was heavily impressed.
                Haha, no, I don't want to kick you anywhere!

You're a Gentoo fan, huh? Good. I had a colleague who was a Gentoo user and he tried to persuade me to install it. I just wasn't confident in running a 'new' system. I would like to try it in VBox though and get a feel of it. I'm a bit lazy, though, and the 'easy' distro is sometimes appealing. I really should run a full fledged Gentoo system someday, though. In the meantime, running a virtual version is in my plans!

Back to topic: yes, Mint is reported to do a good job! I hope they continue with their Debian project, though!

Comment

Working...
                X