Moonlight Now Does GPU Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
    What a waste of money and developer resources...
    Yeah! If all this manpower had helped projects like gnash instead, we would be in a much better position today.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
      Yeah! If all this manpower had helped projects like gnash instead, we would be in a much better position today.
      well gnash is dead, long live html5

As for moonlight, guess it still doesnt work with netflix...

netflix should had gone with flash, like hulu

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
        well gnash is dead, long live html5

As for moonlight, guess it still doesnt work with netflix...

netflix should had gone with flash, like hulu
        So we'd have to rely on yet another DRM-laden binary blob with more security wholes than an old rag. Thanks, but no thanks. At least Moonlight is OSS.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          So we'd have to rely on yet another DRM-laden binary blob with more security wholes than an old rag. Thanks, but no thanks. At least Moonlight is OSS.
          it may be oss and thats great, but is not working for what people need it and thats: netflix.

netflix works on everything except desktop linux.

is like having an oss flash that cant load youtube videos... what would that be good for?

i dont see much future for this project, specially with html5.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
            it may be oss and thats great, but is not working for what people need it and thats: netflix.

netflix works on everything except desktop linux.

is like having an oss flash that cant load youtube videos... what would that be good for?

i dont see much future for this project, specially with html5.
            Fortunately, netflix users are a tiny tiny minority of the world. Look at the big picture: 99.999% simply doesn't care one way or another. Some may actually find the lack of DRM refreshing.

Now, I agree that Silverlight/Moonlight doesn't have much of a future in the web. Microsoft is now pitching Silverlight as a platform for rich desktop and intranet applications, plus a content (video) delivery mechanism. For regular web development, they actually support HTML5+CSS3+JS+SVG now (which is a very surprising turn, given their past).

Personally speaking, I consider Silverlight/Moonlight as a low-cost way to build simple, cross-platform GUIs. It is a big step up from Swing/WinForms/WPF (which are the de-facto standards in the corporate world) and has a significantly lower development cost than Qt/GTK/Cocoa. Perfect for LOB applications.

I also consider the cross-platform nature of Silverlight an advantage. You will probably not see any Silverlight applications on your desktop, but Silverlight *can* influence a company's decision to move from Windows to Linux (if their day-to-day infrastructure is built on Silverlight then a Linux transition is possible. Think of Moonlight as a trojan horse into the Microsoft-held corporate world).

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
              What a waste of money and developer resources...
              Haha, /me pointed similar statement @ YT, and quess what? Comment removed
              I didn't expected that.

Mr Icaza, your reputation really precedes you.

Comment

Working...
              X