Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATi Catalyst crashes after 2 entrances into X.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATi Catalyst crashes after 2 entrances into X.

I recently upgraded to ATi Catalyst 10.11, and despite the many improvements, I have one very major quabble with it!

Every time I enter tty1-6 and then go back to the X-server, close the lid then open it again or put it to hibernate then waking it again, it will, on the second attempt at any of these, lock up with a black screen. Only way to recover is to restart the computer.

I am getting so ridiculously tired of this bug I'm considering downgrading all the way to 10.7. I'll lose the ability to change the volume while viewing flash content though but... whatever! >.<

But before I do - anyone got a fix?

Originally posted by Ishayu View Post
    Every time I enter tty1-6 and then go back to the X-server, close the lid then open it again or put it to hibernate then waking it again, it will, on the second attempt at any of these, lock up with a black screen. Only way to recover is to restart the computer.
    Same problem, did you find any solution/bypass for this bug ?

Comment

Originally posted by The IceMan View Post
      Same problem, did you find any solution/bypass for this bug ?
      No. I've switched to the RadeonHD OSS driver.
      It sucks. Eats my battery in 1? hour. Proprietary driver gives 4 hours. It feels like I'm playing games constantly, and when I ask for the temperature of my GPU it's way too high at all times. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I've sent a mail to the ones who sold me the laptop (who are a really helpful and friendly company who sell their PC's without Windows!) concerning whether they can replace the graphics chip with an NVidia one.

I am hopeful, as it is not an integrated card (no shared memory, Mobility Radeon HD4650 1024MB) and they build their PC's themselves despite their small size. I have an MM-Vision (www.mm-vision.dk) computer.

I contacted ATi about it and they just said "lol stop using linux that solves it" - to which I promptly replied with a problem I have on Windows 7 with the very same version of their driver, in that it randomly crashes when viewing flash videos - and told him to otherwise just go fuck himself.

I've had enough of these shoddy drivers over the months.
      Sorry if I ranted a bit there.

Comment

I forgot to add:
        I was praising ATi a lot during the summer this year because they were doing an incredible job. Anyone recalls fixing Wine DirectX, fixing the slow resizing and all that? In 3 months? Yeah, that was awesome.

They have, however, gone out and broke it all again - and I can't downgrade because the old drivers are not compatible with 10.10, so yeah.
        I refuse to stand for this anymore. It's just too stupid.

Comment

Well you could use my next squeeze based distribution, there you can install every driver

Comment

No. I've switched to the RadeonHD OSS driver.
            It sucks. Eats my battery in 1? hour. Proprietary driver gives 4 hours. It feels like I'm playing games constantly, and when I ask for the temperature of my GPU it's way too high at all times. Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

I contacted ATi about it and they just said "lol stop using linux that solves it" - to which I promptly replied with a problem I have on Windows 7 with the very same version of their driver, in that it randomly crashes when viewing flash videos - and told him to otherwise just go fuck himself.
            Are you using one of the low power settings on the radeonhd driver ?

Depending on your distro, you might want to move to KMS and the radeon driver which has newer and more capable power management code.

I'm curious who you contacted at ATI (did you mean AMD ?), any info appreciated.
            Test signature

Comment

One of your earlier posts suggested you are running Ubuntu 10.10, so it should have KMS and the radeon driver installed by default. Check the bottom of the RadeonFeature wiki page for instructions on how to use the power management options with KMS and radeon.

If you want to stay with radeonhd, try Option "ForceLowPowerMode" "On" in the Device section of your xorg.conf.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                One of your earlier posts suggested you are running Ubuntu 10.10, so it should have KMS and the radeon driver installed by default. Check the bottom of the RadeonFeature wiki page for instructions on how to use the power management options with KMS and radeon.

If you want to stay with radeonhd, try Option "ForceLowPowerMode" "On" in the Device section of your xorg.conf.
                It does indeed have the KMS and Radeon driver installed by default. I used that driver, and it consumes the power *soooo* fast. RadeonHD is no different.

I didn't try to options you listed there. Then again, I am also a World of Warcraft player, and while I don't require that it works great - I do require that it runs at all.
                It doesn't. Hundreds of culling errors at the login screen turns into a regular #132 error when the game finishes loading.
                RadeonHD doesn't even run it at all.
                So I end up having to switch back and forth between drivers.

For me, the only two resolutions are:
                1) The ATi Linux driver team expands in size. I like what you guys are doing, but it's plainly obvious you are understaffed and fighting an uphill battle.
                2) I switch to NVIDIA.

Since #1 has been repeatedly stated to be not happening due to the fact that your superiors can't see the potentual profit in providing a driver for 1% of the userbase (which is a massive underestimate), I'm forced to pick option 2.

As for who I contacted - yeah I guess it was AMD. When I go to ati.amd.com I get shifted around a bit between what could be considered the ATi area and the AMD area, which is quite natural since the merger.
                http://www.amd.com/us/aboutamd/conta...ontact-us.aspx -> e-mail us now is what I did.

I already deleted the e-mail in rage. (I know, that was stupid) and I didn't say an exact quote. I apologize if I came off that way. But basically the brunt of the e-mail constituted something like 'linux, limited support, can't help, want support? Use windows'
                I replied with rage then deleted the mail, basically. I find it rather silly now.

But hey, if you can help me over this forum I'll stop complaining. I was just pretty angry yesterday because I felt like I had bought a product basically busted by design.

radeonHD???? really? i think you mean radeon...
                Nah, I tried both. I considered "radeon" default. :P

ubuntu 10.10 means nothing on hd5000 cards crash on the 2.6.35 kernel.. upgrade to minimum 2.6.36 or better .37 fix that for exampel.

so really ubuntu means nothing.
                Ubuntu means +-80% of all Linux users so it does mean something.
                I use a Radeon HD4650, so I don't know why you're talking about HD5000's all of a sudden.

ubuntu 10.10+xorg-edgers+newest ubuntu 10.10 vanilla kernel 2.6.37 gives you a feeling about the radeon driver...

without that stuff you simply don't use the radeon driver in an usefull way because '''ubuntu''' don't give you an radeon driver in an usefull way!

the next bigbang catalyst is the catalyst 2011.1 then the catalyst do have nearly the same feature set than the radeon driver.
                This isn't about features. This is about nasty, deal-breaking, killerbugs.

ubuntu on radeon is useless without newest kernel and xorg-edgers
                I am not a huge fan of changing my kernel. Though, of course, if you can assure me that FGLRX+.37 works (which I somehow doubt because FGLRX is known to be quite a bit behind on supporting new kernels) then I might consider upgrading and, if it works, abort this project.

really ? i talk similar in another way arround to my computer store

"no nvidia in my peoples computers if i do the support"

because of bad chipsets, bump-gate bad chips,not supporting opensource, bad efficeny, not compatible techniques like cuda and physX, and so on and so one.

in my point of view the catalyst is fine if the 2011.1 catalyst comes out

on the radeon site just upgrade the kernel and put the xorg-egders on
                You go ahead and do that, I don't care. I cannot fathom why you would have any problems with the NVIDIA blob though. My friend has an identical PC to mine but with a NVIDIA 9600M and it works more than fine under Linux.

As for incompatible technologies... yeah, God forbid that they try to make some headway compared to ATi.

Now obviously I haven't heard much of the 11.1 driver. You seem to preach of it like a miracle-cure to all my problems, but I have reserved my judgement. Do tell me more, however. Why is it going to fix anything, exactly?

Comment

It does indeed have the KMS and Radeon driver installed by default. I used that driver, and it consumes the power *soooo* fast. RadeonHD is no different.

I didn't try to options you listed there. Then again, I am also a World of Warcraft player, and while I don't require that it works great - I do require that it runs at all.
                  It doesn't. Hundreds of culling errors at the login screen turns into a regular #132 error when the game finishes loading.
                  RadeonHD doesn't even run it at all.
                  So I end up having to switch back and forth between drivers.

For me, the only two resolutions are:
                  1) The ATi Linux driver team expands in size. I like what you guys are doing, but it's plainly obvious you are understaffed and fighting an uphill battle.
                  2) I switch to NVIDIA.

Since #1 has been repeatedly stated to be not happening due to the fact that your superiors can't see the potentual profit in providing a driver for 1% of the userbase (which is a massive underestimate), I'm forced to pick option 2.

As for who I contacted - yeah I guess it was AMD. When I go to ati.amd.com I get shifted around a bit between what could be considered the ATi area and the AMD area, which is quite natural since the merger.
                  http://www.amd.com/us/aboutamd/conta...ontact-us.aspx -> e-mail us now is what I did.

I already deleted the e-mail in rage. (I know, that was stupid) and I didn't say an exact quote. I apologize if I came off that way. But basically the brunt of the e-mail constituted something like 'linux, limited support, can't help, want support? Use windows'
                  I replied with rage then deleted the mail, basically. I find it rather silly now.

But hey, if you can help me over this forum I'll stop complaining. I was just pretty angry yesterday because I felt like I had bought a product basically busted by design.

Nah, I tried both. I considered "radeon" default. :P

Ubuntu means +-80% of all Linux users so it does mean something.
                  I use a Radeon HD4650, so I don't know why you're talking about HD5000's all of a sudden.

This isn't about features. This is about nasty, deal-breaking, killerbugs.

I am not a huge fan of changing my kernel. Though, of course, if you can assure me that FGLRX+.37 works (which I somehow doubt because FGLRX is known to be quite a bit behind on supporting new kernels) then I might consider upgrading and, if it works, abort this project.

You go ahead and do that, I don't care. I cannot fathom why you would have any problems with the NVIDIA blob though. My friend has an identical PC to mine but with a NVIDIA 9600M and it works more than fine under Linux.

As for incompatible technologies... yeah, God forbid that they try to make some headway compared to ATi.

Now obviously I haven't heard much of the 11.1 driver. You seem to preach of it like a miracle-cure to all my problems, but I have reserved my judgement. Do tell me more, however. Why is it going to fix anything, exactly?
                  For the Wow issue, you could try r600g. That plus a recent kernel and the right power profiles (as bridgman said) should solve most of your problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    i have this problem on an DESKTOP so really it isn't an notebook problem.

i run an miniitx system on an 65watt PSU but the cpu is 45watt TDP and the mainboard chipset+hd4250 consumes maybe 15-20 watt+cdrom+harddrive means TDP over maybe 70-75watt...
                    right now i write on this system... normaly 75watt on an 65watt PSU this crashes on no time
                    so i start to tweak the system 1333ram to 800mhz and on this system i can not downclock the 3ghz cpu so the only way is to downclock the hd4250...
                    normal clock is 500mhz and i downclocks it to 200mhz and now the system works stable !!
                    and the desktop runs fast and i can not watch any difference in normal use viedos also run fin and desktop effects and so on and so on.
                    means you can save 10-15 watt on an hd4250 only by force the clock speed to the lowest level and you will miss nothing.
                    I never stated it was a laptop problem. I just stated that it was a problem, and that it's really annoying. ANd really I refuse to activate ATi overdrive so I can downclock - because it flips a switch on the hardware so that I lose my warranty. No - a 100% NO.

yes bridgman is the right man but stop being angry because bridgman often wrote here in his free not payed time at home to...

and remember bridgman isn't an FGLRX/cataylst guy he is the opensource radeon guy...

means if you wana have support for the catalyst sign an NDA and go into the BETA programm without beta programm no fglrx linux support!

and you only can go into the beta programm if an beta member invites you.

ok bridgman is the opensource guy means be frendly because he is the good one
                    Hey, I think Bridgman is awesome. He writes a lot of useful stuff and is very helpful overall. I have no grudge with him.

I do have a grudge with ATi though - the company itself. The fact that they simply don't install the manpower necessary to make their drivers work. Their Windows driver is kindda shoddy, too.

Both only means you are upper noob really radeonHD is Death!

only Radeon is right.
                    If you're going to call me a noob, I'm going to call you dysletic.

See how that works out?

i just do an exampel don't be so egozentric
                    Uhh... right... >_>

if you do not wana upgrade your kernel the radeon driver does not exist for you.
                    thats because the powerconsumsing part means downclock and idle mode is all writen in the kernel means you really need the lastest super uper shit

10.10 catalyst works up to 2.6.36 fine if you wana have full radeon support you need 2.6.38 (no i dit not wrote .37)
                    Interesting. So basically I need a better kernel for the OSS drivers to work. Thanks for that info, very helpful!
                    I'm still not going to upgrade my kernel though. Upgrading your kernel usually means you break everything else and I have exams next week, so I'm really not in the mood for that kind of crap right now.

Also, you did say 2.6.37. Start spellchecking, seriously...

and xorg-edgers generally chances your ubuntu in an way thats makes your ubuntu complete incompatible to the FGLRX driver

means if you wana fglrx support sign an NDA in the beta programm and install the 11.1 catalyst alpfa/beta and enjoy the nerly bugfree catalyst version-.

but if you wana have full opensource support then install .37 kernel or higher and put the xorg-edgers ppa on...
                    See, now you said .37 again! xD

I am not very interested in their beta program. I think their "stable" drivers are unstable as hell, so I can't even imagine what the beta program must be like. *shudders*

an exampel you watch an youtube movie over flash and flash uses Xv but the catalyst can not give you an bugfree output thats because vsinc is generally broken right now.

11.1 brings huge desktop fixes working global vsinc means fine Xv means fine bugfree Flash support.
                    Well, can't wait for that then! =D
                    Unless I've already switched.
                    The store has not written back yet.

Also, I have no problems with flash.
                    NO problems with Flash. It works perfect in 10.11. 10.11 really, for me, is just broken because it screws up X somehow on 3rd start.

Comment

Working...
                    X