Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How well does HD4670 perform with open source drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my HD4870, the open drivers offer crap speed. Since years now when I first bought the card.

Progress on the drivers is so extremely slow, it's not even funny anymore. It takes *years* to see progress. So I'm pretty confident the card will offer good speed with the open drivers around 2016.

Comment

HD4xxx has only had 3d acceleration for a bit over a year. Not years.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        HD4xxx has only had 3d acceleration for a bit over a year. Not years.
        Exactly my point then.

Comment

With respect, you are flip-flopping here. If you want to complain that driver support for HD4xxx wasn't really there until late 2009 as a result of the open source graphics project only starting in 2007 and having to work through previous generations of hardware first, that's fair.

If you want to complain that the development community decided to focus on finishing the migration to Gallium3D-based drivers and start performance work on the r600g code rather than making the "classic" r600 driver run really fast before moving to Gallium3D and throwing the performance work away, that's not as valid but I can understand how you might wish a different decision had been made.

If, however, you want to extrapolate from the work done so far and conclude that "progress is slow" (despite the fact that developer focus on performance really only started a few weeks ago), or to suggest that progress will remain equally slow even though none of the driving conditions exist today, then the associated thinking is starting to resemble a crime against logic
          Test signature

Comment

It's not a crime against logic to state that even though one whole year has passed since the initial support, the drivers are still too slow.

Which is the answer to the question stated in this thread:

Q: How well does HD4670 perform with open source drivers?
            A: Not that well, even though more than one year has passed.

Sure, there's not an abundance of devs working on it. Just a few. Which is why we still like you

Comment

No, but you said "progress on the drivers is slow", not "the drivers are still too slow".

If your first post had said something along the lines of "the drivers are still slow and the developers have been working on completing the planned architectural changes instead of working on performance improvements" I would have nodded my head and said nothing, although it would have been good if you had mentioned that the developers *did* start looking at performance recently.

Stinkin' one minute edit limit.
              Test signature

Comment

I don't know, but going from a single triangle which locks the GPU up to full OpenGL 2.1, kernel modesetting, powersaving, full XRender and XVideo, XvMC, migration to a completely new driver architecture etc. in a year and a half... I'd say that's quite good progress.

Of course, if you expect OpenGL 4 and performance which blasts away Windows in less than a year, then you will probably consider the progress disappointing.

Comment

I forgot colour tiling, HDMI sound, page flipping, some support work on texture tiling, and GLSL (part of OpenGL 2.1, really).

Also, 3d performance has improved by at least 100% in this timeframe.

It all depends on what your expectations were to begin with, really. I'm just as hungry for new features and performance as the next guy, but I wouldn't say that the progress is slow.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    No, but you said "progress on the drivers is slow", not "the drivers are still too slow".
                    I said both. "After one year" means progress is too slow.

If your first post had said something along the lines of "the drivers are still slow and the developers have been working on completing the planned architectural changes instead of working on performance improvements" I would have nodded my head and said nothing, although it would have been good if you had mentioned that the developers *did* start looking at performance recently.
                    Taking 12 months (it's a bit more than that even) to complete the planned architectural changes *is* slow progress.

Comment

@RealNC

why don't you just go back to the ati blob (or buy an nvidia +blob) and stop bitching??

Comment

Working...
                      X