Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How well does HD4670 perform with open source drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman
    It probably does, but I don't think anyone cares.
    The users care. No "regular" user uses r600g, it's not yet production quality by anyone's criteria.

Comment

Please make that damned row green, so users will stop complaining about stupid things. As you said nobody cares about it, but everybody will earn peace and tranquility.

P.S.
      Edit time sucks.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        The users care. No "regular" user uses r600g, it's not yet production quality by anyone's criteria.
        Distros will switch to installing r600g by default when they see fit. That is when "regular" users will start using r600g.

And the current state of r600g in Mesa git looks better than the r600c shipped by distros today.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          Distros will switch to installing r600g by default when they see fit. That is when "regular" users will start using r600g.

And the current state of r600g in Mesa git looks better than the r600c shipped by distros today.
          Until then, r600c is what they use and what they care about. I don't see how that changes my point in any way.

Comment

They use the classic driver from the release as shipped by their distro. Any new developments in the classic driver will not reach them more than developments in the gallium driver.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Until then, r600c is what they use and what they care about. I don't see how that changes my point in any way.
              It's production ready, F15 will use r600g. It wasn't production ready for last batch of distro. Time btw software being ready upstream and software being available in distro is kind of a long window.

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
                It's production ready, F15 will use r600g. It wasn't production ready for last batch of distro. Time btw software being ready upstream and software being available in distro is kind of a long window.
                Couldn't agree more. I've been using it for a few days on a RS880 (HD4200) and it's working like a charm, much smoother than r600c (especially while playing videos). Great work!

Comment

Does anyone notice an occasional flicker?

Originally posted by kbios View Post
                  Couldn't agree more. I've been using it for a few days on a RS880 (HD4200) and it's working like a charm, much smoother than r600c (especially while playing videos). Great work!
                  I've just installed xorg-drv-ati -git and a 2.6.36.1 kernel on my machine with a HD4890, and I've noticed that the entire screen flickers occasionally. Has anyone else seen anything similar, please?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                    I've noticed that the entire screen flickers occasionally.
                    This is the wrong place to report issues. Either open a new thread or report a bug on bugs.freedesktop.org. You may want to try latest 2.6.37-rc and xf86-video-ati from git first.

Comment

Working...
                    X