Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA Graphics Still Lack Any Real Linux Progress

Phoronix: VIA Graphics Still Lack Any Real Linux Progress

While other hardware vendors are constantly improving their open-source support, this isn't the case for all vendors. VIA's open-source Linux support is still in very bad shape -- two and a half years after they had envisioned themselves becoming open-source friendly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

VIA is focused on the embedded market(thin clients), which makes sense. How many machines actually sell with VIA graphics or wireless? They have a priority driver you can get from them, but its very poorly written. Upgrades come only when manufactures request them, and most of them are using older versions.

Comment

Originally posted by nukem View Post
      VIA is focused on the embedded market(thin clients), ..
      That's all well and fine, but VIA deserves the wrath for pretending to be interested in delivering decent Linux drivers for their older products.

Comment

Hello,

Like enybody cares about their open/closed drivers? realy. How many people buys via hardware this days?.

Comment

Those who can, do. Those who cannot, teach.

Linus Torvalds.

Comment

I don't get it. Nowadays Via is a small company in its field, and they mostly do embedded devices and low-power parts, but to run what? Windows XP? If their linux support is as bad as it seems, what kind of market are they after? I could see lots of potential in using a Via system as a low-power media center, but if the graphics drivers are bad that's out of the question.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post

Linus Torvalds.
              That's an epic piece of computer history.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                I don't get it. Nowadays Via is a small company in its field, and they mostly do embedded devices and low-power parts, but to run what? Windows XP? If their linux support is as bad as it seems, what kind of market are they after? I could see lots of potential in using a Via system as a low-power media center, but if the graphics drivers are bad that's out of the question.
                They are used in many Linux devices, when your a manufacture coming out with VIA hardware they bend over backwards to make sure they're hardware works on whatever platform you need. The problem is all that code is poorly written and never gets released. Not like it really matters though, an Intel Atom with Intel graphics out preforms all of Via stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by nukem View Post
                  The problem is all that code is poorly written and never gets released. Not like it really matters though, an Intel Atom with Intel graphics out preforms all of Via stuff.
                  I see. You are right about Atom. And it costs less too, so once again, I fail to see what kind of market Via is after. When Ontario/Zacate comes out it's bound to be used in mini-itx boards, with much better linux support, which will further reduce Via's market share for sure unless they come out with a killer product.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post

Linus Torvalds.
                    That is funny, but not for all cases.
                    Anyway, he didn't say that, he said "Those that can, do. Those that can't, complain." The person who did say the first thing was George Bernard Shaw. At least that's what wikiquote says http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds

Comment

Working...
                    X