Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novell's Finally Sold: Going To Attachmate & Microsoft

Phoronix: Novell's Finally Sold: Going To Attachmate & Microsoft

While for a while it looked like Novell was going to be bought out by VMware, this is not actually the case. Being announced this morning is that Novell is being acquired by Attachmate Corp and Novell will also be offloading some of their intellectual property to a Microsoft technology consortium. Attachmate has dabbled with Linux a bit in the past and was even a sponsor previously of X.Org...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ouch!

I'm really interested in what IP Microsoft has purchased from Novell.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      Ouch!

If we are lucky, it will be Mono / Ximian / Icaza stuff...

Comment

Oh god. I try my best to keep an open mind on Microsoft these days but this doesn't sound good at all.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          Ouch!

None. A consortium of which MS is part of bought parts of Novell's IP.
          The news article is simply wrong and the headline is even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
            None. A consortium of which MS is part of bought parts of Novell's IP.
            The news article is simply wrong and the headline is even worse.
            Indeed, I also should have ready the article more carefully. Still seems unfortunate though.

Comment

I called this years ago on Slashdot when it was first announced that they were "investing" in Novell. If this has anything to do with Novell's UNIX copyrights/IP everyone should be very very concerned. I'm guessing it isn't because DOJ would probably object. You know damn well Microsoft will try to go after Linux with it if it was included.

Comment

Can we get a source for this?

Comment

This COULD potentially be disastrous however it's unlikely. Microsoft is only allowed to invest in people attempting to illegalize Linux, because the moment they sue they'll be hit with so many anti-trust suits it will be funny. Governments can disband companies you know..

Comment

Buy Icaza please. Now with 20% off!

GPL ftw!

Comment

Working...
                    X