Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No KMS? No Mesa? Run Wayland Off A Linux Framebuffer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can imagine this being nice as a fallback that always works. Just like the VESA Xorg driver now.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
      I paid for my Nvidia card to use its full feature set now, not in a few years.
      Then why are you even worried about Wayland? It's not going to be used by anyone who doesn't specifically install it themselves for at least that long.

Comment

If this is going to make it easier for developers develop for it, then this is good news. Speaking of things to make development easier, one thing that I've been wondering is that if OpenGL support (as opposed to OpenGL ES) is added to Wayland and Wayland eventually fully replaces X (I realize this may take many years), then would it be easier for developers to develop open source graphics drivers because it would be for Wayland, instead of X?

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
          If this is going to make it easier for developers develop for it, then this is good news. Speaking of things to make development easier, one thing that I've been wondering is that if OpenGL support (as opposed to OpenGL ES) is added to Wayland and Wayland eventually fully replaces X (I realize this may take many years), then would it be easier for developers to develop open source graphics drivers because it would be for Wayland, instead of X?
          No, the hard parts in driver development have nothing to do with X. Programming a GPU is hard, period.

Comment

Working...
          X